Like Tree22Likes

Laws regarding gender equality

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Don't get too comfortable with the laws of HK. They only apply to certain places and people. Village life is much apart from these. And you are one person, they are an entire family or group of people.

Are you a western or Asian looking expat and what are you aiming to get accomplished?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    as an expat, perhaps best to stay out of these things and focus on issues where your opinion counts and you can a difference
    ^^This

Become a local first before trying to change the local ways.
    rickyross likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    ^^This

Become a local first before trying to change the local ways.
    Have you ever taken one of those surveys and they ask where are you from. Then you say Kowloon or Sai kung or what not and then you see they clearly put Europe tick mark on their survey.

Whether you're born here or not, with a white face, you're always the foreigner.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    But then there is also some truth to what the brit said. Unless you have some serious skin in the game and some benefits - as an expat, perhaps best to stay out of these things and focus on issues where your opinion counts and you can a difference.

Win small battles first .. but then that is my way of doing things.
    It is a very, very small battle indeed, and the part about gender is just basically a footnote! But still one I feel worth mentioning.

But on another point, what do you do when you belong no where? I wouldn't be a local anymore in my hometown either. So where do you draw the line about involvement in local affairs based on where you're living? What criteria has to be "met"?

Original Post Deleted
    Please explain why this is 'mansplaining'? Is it merely the fact that it is a male communicating with a Female? Is it only mansplaining if he disagrees?

Does it come across as patronising? Possibly, but then, taking into account the OPs posting history, maybe not.

And if this post is patronising, then so are 90% of all posts on here, and this also makes 100% of that 90% mansplaining when coming from a man to a woman.

Overuse of non-words such as 'manslaining' allows the real condescending shit some men say to be ignored because people switch off. Not everything men say to women is patronising, sometimes it's a just a truth that needs restating.

Regardless 'mansplaining' is a top-trumps now stfu' kind of argument that should have no place in any language. If you don't like what he said then say so, there's plenty of words to use without making stuff up.

To the OP, how about focusing on something you can make an impact on, plenty of volunteering opportunities in HK, or advocacy needed for disadvantaged groups. Gosh, there's also loads of wrongs committed by your own country to be righted. What-about-ery those Marshall Islanders huh? Even taken a vacation on Ebeye? Great Christmas holiday location, sure is off the beaten track
    TheBrit likes this.

Well the next leader of HK is quite likely to be a female, and the United States just elected Donald Trump as president. I think HK is doing fine in gender equality.

I do too actually. Not in the specific instance that the OP is thinking about - but that's a stupid scheme to start with that was put in place back in the days when men were the head of the family. The whole scheme should be scrapped, not opened up to women! In general I don't feel discriminated against in HK at all. Unlike Japan or Korea, for example, where it is almost impossible to do business without having a man in the background "just in case"!

I don't have experience in Korea or Japan, and I know gender equality has a long way to go there, but Hong Kong is umm, not doing great in many regards. HKU, for example, is led by a nearly all-male senior management team. Very few female faculty members. "Housewife" is still a widely used term here, and even today I just saw it come up in the SCMP. Would love to see it replaced with "Mrs. abc who is a full time home carer"... And I'd like to hear of other examples, but the cases I know where the woman is fully committed to a career and has children, there tends to be two helpers at home. Ah well... could be worse, could be better, and I guess you can say that about most things in life.

We're talking about an association that has threatened the HK gov't, the lives of politicians who've went against them and has the HK police so shook they won't even write tickets in their villages. The hell would citing a gender discrimination law do?