Like Tree17Likes

Jaywalking fine: what if i didn't pay?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I had no idea cops enforced jaywalking in this town. Recently I crossed the street against the red with cops standing on the other side and we even made eye contact but nothing happened. Looked like I dodged one.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Wait to get a fine first. You may not (i didn't but husband did for same offence). It may not be that much (husbands was not 2000). If you don't pay I think they just keep adding interest so it gets bigger and bigger. Not sensible.
    You were right, i got no fine tbh, I did ask the police guy why he was writing my name down when he asked me to show ID and he was like for general inquiry and then they wrote down street numbers etc and i felt "oh no i am done for", turns out it really was general inquiry and not a fine.

was being paranoid for no reason at all

I thought i got a jaywalking fine because they saw me from across the street and then when they moved closer i was on their side of the road lol within seconds so i was just 2nd guessing that yep they are going to fine me for jaywalking.

Quote Originally Posted by worriedbadly:
    You were right, i got no fine tbh, I did ask the police guy why he was writing my name down when he asked me to show ID and he was like for general inquiry and then they wrote down street numbers etc and i felt "oh no i am done for", turns out it really was general inquiry and not a fine.

was being paranoid for no reason at all

I thought i got a jaywalking fine because they saw me from across the street and then when they moved closer i was on their side of the road lol within seconds so i was just 2nd guessing that yep they are going to fine me for jaywalking.
    You were lucky!

Don't do it again as you'll be on file now

why even let them ticket you? you know if you run, they won't bother to chase you down... quite lazy they are.

Your fine after pleaing guilty depends on the number of times you are caught in traffic offences. They have the record and is read to the magistrate by a clerk in court shortly before he or she decides the amount of fine. The maximum fine is $2000 and is usually given to defendents with records.

When you failed to respond to a summon sent to you by a court, asking you to plea guilty or not or telling you to pay a fine decided by a magistrate, a police officer will eventually go to the address you gave them when you are caught jaywalking to deliver a new summon, asking you to pay the fine or appear in court. If you don't respond or cannot be found, will come again. If you still don't pay or respond after multiple visits to your address, you will be in the immigration department's and police's wanted list.

When your ID cards or documents checked by police and immigration, they will detain you and tell you you are wanted for your jaywalking case and will need to appear in court in person to explain. You may choose to pay a bail to leave your dentention first if your case is not serious.

Last edited by lighthse003; 17-10-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Sorry to ask but my friend who came to visit me just got the $1500 fixed penalty for littering.. My question he leaves next week and since he listed his hotel as his address what happens if he leaves without paying for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous6i9:
    Sorry to ask but my friend who came to visit me just got the $1500 fixed penalty for littering.. My question he leaves next week and since he listed his hotel as his address what happens if he leaves without paying for it?
    Probably nothing but if he has any intention of coming back to hk again then it’ll be flagged up at immigration.

He should just pay up and treat Hk with a bit more respect
    tinlissie and imparanoic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bobly:
    why even let them ticket you? you know if you run, they won't bother to chase you down... quite lazy they are.
    Lol, crossed a red light on a bike once. Police van saw it, put on the speakers, shouted something in Cantonese, then pulled into a driveway to make a U-turn as they were on the other side of the road. I took a quick left turn and disappeared into the local plaza. They didn't bother looking for me.
    SpeakCantonese likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Lol, crossed a red light on a bike once. Police van saw it, put on the speakers, shouted something in Cantonese, then pulled into a driveway to make a U-turn as they were on the other side of the road. I took a quick left turn and disappeared into the local plaza. They didn't bother looking for me.
    *Filed* for future reference.
    civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Probably nothing but if he has any intention of coming back to hk again then it’ll be flagged up at immigration.

He should just pay up and treat Hk with a bit more respect
    But how certain are you that they work with immigration as well.. I'm pretty sure they got his passport number. But just wondering if they will put it with immigration. Because I remember the guard told him just toss the document since he doesn't have an hk ID