Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BCD

Donating books to Hong Kong Public Libraries

Closed Thread

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Donating books to Hong Kong Public Libraries

Thinking about doing this as I'm not looking for a few dollars or 'store credit', the usual. And I can't be bothered with listing them for free and having to meet up with multiple people, some of whom are late or don't turn up... You know the score.

I've looked at the types of books are generally not accepted but I wonder whether anyone has done this.

What did the library accept and what did it decline?

Thanks

Can you just pop them in the book return boxes?

Don't know if it's still the same, but I looked into donating a lot of books quite a while back, and basically got told they only accept text books. Try asking the central library in Causeway Bay what they would take.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    Can you just pop them in the book return boxes?

How about donating to schools? I know at many of the school festivals they have a used book stall. West Island ESF is accepting donations now for their fair in March.
    Books must be in very good condition and relevant (i.e.. not an old travel book)

Natfixit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BCD:
    How about donating to schools? I know at many of the school festivals they have a used book stall. West Island ESF is accepting donations now for their fair in March.
    Books must be in very good condition and relevant (i.e.. not an old travel book)
    Also Imprint Bookstore in Mui Wo accepts books, board games and other antiquarian oddities that people might find of interest. Ask the owner Terry. Also, not sure if Flow bookstore in central still exists....they seem to take anything.

Have you considered Oxfam? I found them most friendly in terms of donation. (They take almost anything!)

My experience is that the public libraries are quite selected in terms of book donations.

From their website
    https://www.hkpl.gov.hk/en/about-us/.../donation.html
    The following range of materials is generally not considered, unless they are of our collection focus that are related to the study of Hong Kong and of high reference and research value: -

1. fiction and junior books;
    2. titles already in stock of HKPL;
    3. school textbooks and student workbooks;
    4. materials that are in poor physical condition (with the exception of rare books);
    5. outdated books on the subject of science, technology, business, finance, law ,travel guides and computer science.