Like Tree196Likes

Moslem families - storing up trouble for the future?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thanks for this insight. Both my boys will eventually attend school in DB. The wife and I also dread moving there. Maybe a few more years of driving them to Tsing Yi and I might change my mind.

Fiona in HKG and DrWho like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Just for a bit of a stir, I'll relate a story from work (which, as some here know, involves lots of refugees, asylum seekers, and local "underclasses").

A couple of years ago, a newly arrived Yemeni extended family came to us for assistance in kind. The 3 women were in all-black niqab, and even the young girls were in hijab. The men were aggressively protective of their females, and wouldn't even let them look through clothes without one of the male guardians.

2 years later, they are still waiting for their claim as refugees to be assessed, so we still see them come for more clothes as the children grow. These days, the women are wearing colouful clothes, just with headscarves, the girls have their hair loose, and the men will retreat to a smoking area and chat while the ladies check out the clothes.

Obviously, Hong Kong has given them a sense of safety and peace which they never had before, even though they have no idea where they might be in a few years time. It's just nice to see that this city can play a role in de-radicalising people, even without trying.
    That's a fantastic story...thank you for sharing. This is what I'm talking about when I say 'integration'...I mean let the women and children be free...not sure what anyone else thinks I mean.
    chingleutsch and jmbf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Right here. Click book.

https://goo.gl/flights/jlkq
    Too much money to be made here.

My people book my flights anyway but thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    In the mean time what are @R.O. follow up to the discussion, kept this open as I enjoy reading his/her posts.
    Thank you for your comment. I was going to take the advice of the other person, who said I had better not write any more about this sensitive subject.

Only two or three years ago, this kind of Moslem/Middle-Eastern shroud and veil was never, or hardly ever, seen in residential districts of the New Territories. There has been a social change, which is interesting and worth noting. If the change had been in the other direction - if women were discarding their veils - I think that every commenter here would have welcomed it, and no-one would have said that it was not important, just a fuss about a bit of fabric.

It was careless of me to imply that all Moslem families want to be integrated. However, I daresay there are a few Moslems in HK who do not approve of the trend: they do not want their co-religionists in Tuen Mun to be trench-diggers from generation to generation, and they do not want the women's lives to be thwarted.

As for the women themselves: why have they changed? Has there been peer-pressure, or pressure from the mosque, or compulsion from husbands and fathers? Or, after thought and prayer, have they made a free choice?

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Are you aware of the fact that many Muslims find the alternate spelling you've chosen to be offensive?
    I didn't know that. Thank you.

Years ago, I spent quite a long time in India and Pakistan. It may be different now, but at the time 'Moslem' was the word used in both countries, so that's where I picked it up.

[There was a British television discussion programme where a senior politician was berated by a member of the audience because he said 'Afro-Caribbean', not 'African-Caribbean'.]

I didn't read the whole discussion, but here are my 2 HKD:

1. The fact that many "westerners" keep guzzling Stella and fish'n'chips and in general keep behaving as if they never left East End even after 25+ years in HK doesn't mean that it's good to have 4-th generation of Pakistani boys here speak only Urdu or restrict the freedom of their girls

2. Luckily, Chinese seem to be much less susceptible to the political correctness disease currently afflicting the "western" democracies. So, if, *if* there is real danger coming from such self-segregated slices of society, they won't threat too much before taking harsh measures.

jayinhongkong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I'm wondering if you chose it because you are of an older generation, back when the adjective "Coloured" was also acceptable or you are young and deliberately chose to sprinkle some unwarranted spice into your story....
    Another discussion for another thread, but the NAACP (National Association for Advancement of Colored People) comes to mind. I don't think they represent Brown or Yellow people and I thought that Black is not a color.

(Pin removed, grenade thrown at the crowd.. /over-and-out again)
    HK_Katherine likes this.

The muslim community is rather small in Hong Kong, compared to UK, Germany, Sweden or France. So, there is little threat & pressure to the local society to adjust to their needs.

However, even in Hong Kong I noticed that more and more grocery products are halal-certified, such as yogurts, milk, cereals and even tooth paste (!). I was never asked if I wanted to support "The Incorporated Trustees of the Islamic Community". Pathetic.

However, even in Hong Kong I noticed that more and more grocery products are halal-certified, such as yogurts, milk, cereals and even tooth paste (!).
    Larger number of muslims than you'd think - Malaysian, Singaporean, Indonesian.... but they're usually not the conservative types.

If you don't want to support the trustees, then you know where the pork flavored toothpaste is!

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Larger number of muslims than you'd think - Malaysian, Singaporean, Indonesian.... but they're usually not the conservative types.

If you don't want to support the trustees, then you know where the pork flavored toothpaste is!
    Tell me, where can I find pork flavored tooth paste!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast