Like Tree40Likes

An Expat's Guide to Lai See Etiquette

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

An Expat's Guide to Lai See Etiquette

During Chinese New Year, and stretching into the following week, you may notice a flurry of red envelopes being exchanged almost everywhere you go. These fancy little red envelopes, called "lai see" (利是), are packets that contain good luck money. Giving lai see to people is a big part of Chinese New Year celebrations, so you don't want to miss out on giving (or receiving!) them in the following couple of weeks.

http://geoexpat.com/articles/hong-ko...-see-etiquette

HK_Katherine, nailalie and MISSHEN like this.

it is not clear in that guide, but you can give more than one envelope to one person. say you have a pile of one hundred dollar packets you can give one, two or more envelopes to one person.

I give two packet per person to family and close friends, one packet from me and one on behalf of my mrs, I am NOT Chinese by the way, my mrs is

jayinhongkong and missslee like this.

Pro tip: use different colored envelopes to indicate the cash amount for your own convenience. I use the cheapest and ugliest kind I can find to carry $10 for the building managers, maintenance, etc., that decide to smile and say hello for that one day out of the entire year.

That way I can still say I have them a red pocket but barely. And I only give one instead of two for the SO.

We give two envelopes if my husband and I are both giving (e.g. building management) and one if just from one of us (e.g. work). I am advised by my local friends that $20 is the minimum amount these days with $10 seen as stingy. Unless it is for a special occasion (e.g. wedding), I use the red packets given out free by the banks. I think you can get them if you ask your bank for them but I get sent some directly and our Treasury team gets thousands of them and usually distribute them. Some of them are actually quite nice quality.

I was just given a pack of red envelopes from my building management. Is it considered cheap or rude to use these, as they were clearly free and have the management branding on them?

jayinhongkong likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu79:
    I was just given a pack of red envelopes from my building management. Is it considered cheap or rude to use these, as they were clearly free and have the management branding on them?
    We get those and use them for the lai see we give to security/cleaners.
    Stu79 likes this.

As long as it comes back with money in it, no one cares
    Stu79, JAherbert, shri and 2 others like this.

Others have chimed in - also consider that you don't want to be handing out $10 notes in red pockets from say Goldman's Private bank. Might be a tad bit inappropriate.
    jayinhongkong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Others have chimed in - also consider that you don't want to be handing out $10 notes in red pockets from say Goldman's Private bank. Might be a tad bit inappropriate.
    Nah, they're nothing like that - just have Taikoo Place plastered all over them!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast