Help!!! Roomate troubles

Unhappy Help!!! Roomate troubles

I am lost and have no idea where to get any answers to my questions...HELP!!!!

Here is the situation.... I am currently renting a flat with another girl, both our names are on the lease. It was signed September 1, 2004 and is a 2 year lease but after 12 months we have the option to move.

The problem is we are now not talking (bad situation) and I want to live with another person. However we both want the apartment.

Now here is the question I have... is there anything I can do to get the apartment? or vice versa? or do we have to agree to disagree and one has to compromise and leave?

If someone could help me, or lead me in the right direction it would be a great help.

Not Sure But

Hi Margaret,

The main problem is that you are both on the lease, and you both want the apartment. So it sounds like one of you has to give it up, and has to compromise to leave.
    The only way you could have her to leave the apartment would be if she doesn't pay on time, or for bills, or if she made some deteriorations to the place, but this is kind of nasty and sneaky, so maybe it's better if you try to talk to her.
    Anyway I am not a real estate professional, I hope somebody can give you some more useful advice

Cheers

Not sure but : if you are both on the lease, then you are both (jointly or separately) responsible for the rent so I dont think you have any legal stand points. I think it is something you just have to agree to disagree about. What do the terms of the lease say? Can one of you leave after 12 months (normally if you can find someone to take your place) but make sure your name is taken off the lease otherwise you will still be liable.
    If I didnt get on with my roommate, and had someone else to share with, I think that I would pack my bags and go irrespective of how nice the apartment is - plenty more apartments in HK. Best to be happy!

Sort your problems out. Nothing is as big or as bad you you make them out to be in your head if you sit and talk things through, I believe a resolution will be reached that will satisfy the both of you.

Unless the problem stems from 'boy trouble'...if it was a guy who came between them ( i suspect), then it may be a problem un-fixable! Of course i may be totaly off the mark here.

can you be big about it?

Hi,
    what would happen if you just agreed to let your current roommate have the apartment..as soon as you find a suitable alternative..and tried to overcome this problem of not talking by sitting down like 2 adults and going through your differences..and then enlist her help in trying to find an alternative (and moving)..

can I be the bigger person?!

Thanks for all your replies,

I realise that this sounds immature, I have tried serveral times with many approaches to reach a compromise...

The thing is that she has never liked the apartment and it is only after I told her of my plans to live in with another person (yes a guy!) that she wants the apartment....
    So I guess in a way I am being stubborn and I just want the damm place!!!

But in the end I think what will happen if I cannot come up with a better solution is too move and say good riddens...
    so if anyone knows of any great apartments in Causeway Bay.. let me know...

Thumbs down

I think seeing as its you who wants to move out to live with this guy, then it should be up to you to find the replacement. You did agree to, and sign a lease to share with this person, so it isn't fair to then abandon her when you feel like it. I could understand if she was upset. She went into this thing thinking you would honour the lease term, and now you want to leave her in the lurch!

Last edited by Baron; 28-04-2005 at 11:47 PM.

ouch!!!

Baron,

Thanks for the wake up call, I realise that it is an awful situation... I do have every intention to honor our lease to the end and with more thought and outsiders perspectives, I think it is better to leave and be gone!

To all those in charge, this is a great website for resources for us expats here... I will recomend it to all my friends!

Is this guy close enough to share a room with you in present appartment? If so you would not only keep your lease bargain, but also lessen the rent by a third. But if so, make sure the total rent is divided 3 ways, not your half between the two of you! Just a thought.