Like Tree47Likes

Throwing away rubbish to cost up to HK$50 a month

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    This is exactly the system that does work in Taipei. However, the logistics are far from perfect - if you live in a low-rise you need to go out and bring your trash out in these bags whenever the dump truck makes its rounds (usually twice a week two times a day). However, I wonder how it will work in a HK high rise. Either just same cost for everyone (i.e., lost its purpose), or what? Cameras in the trash room?
    A lot of the high rises I have seen have a rubbish chute on each floor. Just chuck in your bag and forget it. Unless they have camera or something how will they know who is using the right bags?
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Responsibility should also be placed on supermarkets to reduce the superfluous packaging, especially on fruit and vege. Ditch the plastic containers and go back to paper bags.

The goal should not be to have more stuff recycled, it should be to stop producing waste in the first place, especially plastic waste.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    A lot of the high rises I have seen have a rubbish chute on each floor. Just chuck in your bag and forget it. Unless they have camera or something how will they know who is using the right bags?
    I predict a mountain of illogical thinking going to create a stupendously complex system to identify bags with flats in highrises. Think shroff offices, chops, and photocopied notices everywhere. It will be some pencil-pushing authoritarian muppet's wet dream.
    Last edited by kimwy66; 20-03-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Perhaps TheBrit can chime in on how the system works in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    one issue tho. its going to "hurt" small income earner.
    Absolutely right. Always the way. Hopefully the rich people on this thread who are happy that the government have found yet another way to scrap a few more dollars out of the local population will subsidise their poorer neighbours...Those grins would be gone if the fee was $1000 a month...imagine how $50 feels to someone earning $40 an hour.

If they were serious about it they would ban plastic bags and stop excess packaging at source...people have to eat! The poorest don't get to choose. I loathe this kind of stuff....loathe it.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Responsibility should also be placed on supermarkets to reduce the superfluous packaging, especially on fruit and vege. Ditch the plastic containers and go back to paper bags.

The goal should not be to have more stuff recycled, it should be to stop producing waste in the first place, especially plastic waste.
    Yes...stop it at source...exactly. How did we all cope before plastic bags? We had a few string bags and for the extra we had paper....simple.

I live in Sai Kung and so often watch the seafood restaurant workers push large fully loaded rubbish bins, bursting full of restaurant food waste, right over to the collection station. No questions asked. Other restaurants will dump 12 large baskets of seafood waste into the public collection bins, any time they like. Then the city contract workers need to push those loaded wheeled bins to the collection station.

IMO, intolerable. And as long as the people of HK have no voice in their govt, such nonsense will continue and life will worsen.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHairy:
    Absolutely right. Always the way. Hopefully the rich people on this thread who are happy that the government have found yet another way to scrap a few more dollars out of the local population will subsidise their poorer neighbours...Those grins would be gone if the fee was $1000 a month...imagine how $50 feels to someone earning $40 an hour.

If they were serious about it they would ban plastic bags and stop excess packaging at source...people have to eat! The poorest don't get to choose. I loathe this kind of stuff....loathe it.
    The poorest shop in wet markets where there is little superfluous packing and if the cost of disposal causes angst it will reduce the packaging too because people will avoid buying packaged products. All good.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Yay, yay, yay! Let's see this happen!

(Who wants to make bets it won't? We should ask ourselves what does Li Ka Shing have to lose?)
    Li Ka Shing will be quids in.

Building managers will be responsible for policing the correct use of the bags. This means either they will be enforcing the rules or, more likely, buying the waste bags to in which to put their residents’ rubbish.

Either way, building managers will add $$ to their annual fees, which means extra profit for them.

And because the costs will be socialized for each estate, there will be no incentive for any individuals to cut down waste. So the scheme will succeed mostly in transferring wealth from residents to the oligarchs without any other material changes. Legco has succeeded in its remit once again.

Reducing waste by creating another waste?
    Reducing the use of plastic by using another plastic to collect the plastic?

misshappy26 likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast