Like Tree47Likes

Throwing away rubbish to cost up to HK$50 a month

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

This may work if it was tied to a scheduled rubbish collection service.

If Taipei could make such a system work at the turn of this century, I reckon just about ANY city could (except probably Macau, unless they let neighbourhood triad factions organise it). Of course, there was no Taobao in those days, but the Taiwanese managed to copy and fake just about everything without help.

And even if that did include the waste bags, at least that waste still went into the right truck.

We did have scheduled rubbish truck stopping places and times daily, and I seem to remember the recycling trucks came twice a week on set days. You had to "make it work" whether you lived in a 7 floor walk-up or in a high-rise (not that there are anywhere near the number or height of those we have here).

The tricky bit was if you happened to be working at your local rubbish truck time - those food scraps really started to pong between one Sunday and the next during summers!! Another issue was if you lived in one of the maze of narrow lanes it could be quite a hike to one of the appointed truck stops. Trying to give a pile of recycling to the wrong man on the recycling trucks was a sure way to learn how to swear a blue streak in Minnanhua...

To change track slightly, one of the random bits of information I've acquired lately is that when the oil price drops, recyclers give up on recycling plastics because nobody will buy from them when the new stuff is cheaper!

rickyross likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Just wait until someone in the HK Gov reads this article

Next up, HK will remove street bins
    They already have removed bins from the country parks. However all I see is people dumping rubbish anyway and not packing out like you are supposed to.

Minister behind Hong Kong’s waste-charging scheme admits rules will be hard to enforce | South China Morning Post

So, they are putting in place a largely unenforceable regulation, and relying on HK residents' sense of civic pride for compliance.

TheBrit, Claire ex-ax and jrkob like this.

So, they are putting in place a largely unenforceable regulation, and relying on HK residents' sense of civic pride for compliance.
    Didn't CY and the Mrs launch some new "Army Cadets" club of some sort? They'll take care of civic education. Don't you worry!

Rule of law #1... Rule of law #1...

Only those pesky yellow umbrella people break the laws in this town.

Talking about throwing away rubbish, does anyone know where to throw large sized furniture/big bag of tiles/planks of wood/etc (we are renovating the flat) in Kennedy Town? I'd have thought there would be a public waste disposal area like the one in Wan Chai next to the playground but I haven't seen one around here. One of my "smart" friends told me to just dump them on the side of the street as most people do, but that's just not me. Appreciate your help!

TIA!

p.s. I emailed the environmental department but no response...and also I cant figure out if there is a public waste disposal area from their website - it mentions the recycled bins near Belcher Bay Park and few other spots in Kennedy Town but I don't think that the type of rubbish I am trying to throw away belong there.

Quote Originally Posted by aava:
    Talking about throwing away rubbish, does anyone know where to throw large sized furniture/big bag of tiles/planks of wood/etc (we are renovating the flat) in Kennedy Town? I'd have thought there would be a public waste disposal area like the one in Wan Chai next to the playground but I haven't seen one around here. One of my "smart" friends told me to just dump them on the side of the street as most people do, but that's just not me. Appreciate your help!

TIA!

p.s. I emailed the environmental department but no response...and also I cant figure out if there is a public waste disposal area from their website - it mentions the recycled bins near Belcher Bay Park and few other spots in Kennedy Town but I don't think that the type of rubbish I am trying to throw away belong there.
    Environmental Protection Department - Construction Waste Disposal Charging Scheme

No wonder people dump them on the streets...

Quote Originally Posted by aava:
    No wonder people dump them on the streets...
    You'd usually pay your contractor to have the rubbish hauled away.
    JAherbert likes this.

Noted, thanks. If you want to just throw away a very old three-seater sofa, where would you throw it away in Kennedy Town? Really dont want to dump it on the street.