Like Tree36Likes

tenant rights question/problems with building management

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Thanks very much. It's helpful to hear your experience. Did you move out of Hong Kong, or to another apartment in Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    I had a one-year old too. They would start jack-hammering just when I put him down for a nap. My first reaction; walk over there and kill the guy. Then I realized my 1-year old is actually sleeping through this and he's better off if I'm not in jail. Sometimes fighting just ain't worth it. Then I moved to a new building. No problems now. Isn't there some clubhouse or garden that's nearby. One-year olds love to explore.

It's not bad behaviour. They're just fixing up a flat. If you bought a flat and wanted it redone, wouldn't you do the same? How do you think those marble tiles in the bathroom come off? Bad behaviour is the dude who decides to experiment with his drill past 6pm. I can assure you, he'll get a knock from me on the door and see a facial expression that he won't forget so soon.
    It is absolutely bad behavior. My toilet water has repeatedly been shut off. My electricity has been shut off on at least two occasions. My apartment has been flooded with toilet water. We have repeatedly had extremely loud, prolonged jackhammering. This time it is for "roof repair" even though there was a long period of jackhammering for "roof repair" not too long ago. This is NOT normal behavior and it would unheard of anywhere else in the advanced world. It is incompetence and stupidity. If what you have to offer is defense of this absurdity, please get lost.
    TheBrit likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Good to know. Thank you.

Who is turning off your toilet water and electricity? Surely not the landlord or the neighbors. Management? They do have to provide you with notice if they are responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Who is turning off your toilet water and electricity? Surely not the landlord or the neighbors. Management? They do have to provide you with notice if they are responsible.
    Management. They provide notice, but "hey FYI your toilet won't work for 48 hours" isn't particularly helpful.

Original Post Deleted
    Thank you, I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaroad:
    It is absolutely bad behavior. My toilet water has repeatedly been shut off. My electricity has been shut off on at least two occasions. My apartment has been flooded with toilet water. We have repeatedly had extremely loud, prolonged jackhammering. This time it is for "roof repair" even though there was a long period of jackhammering for "roof repair" not too long ago. This is NOT normal behavior and it would unheard of anywhere else in the advanced world. It is incompetence and stupidity. If what you have to offer is defense of this absurdity, please get lost.
    I was referring to the noise. Don't move the goal post here.

Beyond that, toilet water does get repeatedly shut off. They're cleaning the tanks. I assume, they put notices up, but only in Chinese.

Power also gets shut off from time to time. Just wait until they test the fire alarm. That's a real kicker.

Roof repair is normal too. I assume you don't want it to rain inside the flat. Sometimes part of the roof gets redone if there some leakage after a repair.

Leaking toilets also happens. That's why plumbers have jobs.

These are all the things you find out when you quit your job and stay home for the day.

I bet, when you change flats, you'll be looking for something newer and don't choose a 35-year old flat. That is my advice.
    jimbo likes this.

Can I just add, I do feel your pain as I've just had several weeks of building at home, my office and at the school I work at simultaneously...I sometimes thought about grabbing the drill and sticking it right up one of those builder's ar....

That saud...a 'jackhammer' on the roof? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    I was referring to the noise. Don't move the goal post here.

Beyond that, toilet water does get repeatedly shut off. They're cleaning the tanks. I assume, they put notices up, but only in Chinese.

Power also gets shut off from time to time. Just wait until they test the fire alarm. That's a real kicker.

Roof repair is normal too. I assume you don't want it to rain inside the flat. Sometimes part of the roof gets redone if there some leakage after a repair.

Leaking toilets also happens. That's why plumbers have jobs.

These are all the things you find out when you quit your job and stay home for the day.

I bet, when you change flats, you'll be looking for something newer and don't choose a 35-year old flat. That is my advice.
    The noise is NOT normal. I've lived here for a few years, and I've heard the "that's just how it is in Hong Kong" refrain - but those are words for little rats, not humans.

Original Post Deleted
    4991 35-year old flats tells me, stay the fuck away. Basic Math tells me if one flat gets renovated every month, it'll take 416 years to renovate all those apartments. The drilling will never stop.