Like Tree36Likes

tenant rights question/problems with building management

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

tenant rights question/problems with building management

Along with my wife and 1-year-old, I live in Telford Garden, a large housing complex adjacent to the Kowloon Bay MTR station. Ever since moving in about a year ago, there have been problems such as the toilet water supply repeatedly being shut off. Lately things have gotten worse, to the point where I want to find out if I have any legal right to withhold rent or do anything else about it.

We recently took a trip to visit family abroad, and shortly after leaving we received news that the apartment had been flooded by toilet water. I don't know exactly how bad it was, because the landlord had some people come in and get rid of most of the water, and refuses to tell us (or doesn't understand the question) exactly how much water there was before the cleaning.

We've returned home, and now there is extremely loud jackhammering or something going on on the roof, so loud that the apartment feels uninhabitable while it is going on. Building management (not the landlord) tells me this will be going on for 3 weeks.

This is not the first time we have dealt with prolonged, extremely loud jackhammering. I don't want to accept it any more. Since I'm told it will continue for most of April, I don't want to pay my April rent. Is there a way I can complain to the government or something, to make the legal case for this? I plan to move as soon as possible, but these people don't give a crap about that. Easy come, easy go, as far as they are concerned. I want there to be consequences.

Are you on a 12+12 month lease? Time to just cut your losses and move out!

Do the usual 2 months no rent in lieu of deposit thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaroad:
    I want there to be consequences.
    Definitely change the locks if they can go into your apartment when you not in town WTF. turn off the water supply in your toliet next time u go on a trip.

If you want to you can stop paying rent, ignore the landlord when he/she chases you for rent, by the time the LL has court order for you to vacate the premises you should have long moved by then LOL

Yes, 12 + 12. Ah, so if I let our deposit cover the last two, it would at least be hard for them to make trouble for me about it?

Jack hammering is normal in Hong Kong. Especially old flats. Look for a new building a year after it opened.

Also, have a good read here. Covers most common issues with landlords / tenants.

CLIC - Landlord & Tenant

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Definitely change the locks if they can go into your apartment when you not in town WTF. turn off the water supply in your toliet next time u go on a trip.

If you want to you can stop paying rent, ignore the landlord when he/she chases you for rent, by the time the LL has court order for you to vacate the premises you should have long moved by then LOL
    I'd like to. I'm wondering how much trouble I'd make for myself though, because I'm not ready to leave Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Also, have a good read here. Covers most common issues with landlords / tenants.

CLIC - Landlord & Tenant
    Thanks. Maybe the "I'm a tenant of an apartment unit who has been disturbed by my neighbor" section would apply, although it's not a neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Jack hammering is normal in Hong Kong. Especially old flats. Look for a new building a year after it opened.
    It's normal because people will put up with anything. I have a 1-year-old and I can't accept weeks of loud noise. I can move, but I'd rather all the consequences of their bad behavior don't fall on my shoulders alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaroad:
    It's normal because people will put up with anything. I have a 1-year-old and I can't accept weeks of loud noise. I can move, but I'd rather all the consequences of their bad behavior don't fall on my shoulders alone.
    I had a one-year old too. They would start jack-hammering just when I put him down for a nap. My first reaction; walk over there and kill the guy. Then I realized my 1-year old is actually sleeping through this and he's better off if I'm not in jail. Sometimes fighting just ain't worth it. Then I moved to a new building. No problems now. Isn't there some clubhouse or garden that's nearby. One-year olds love to explore.

It's not bad behaviour. They're just fixing up a flat. If you bought a flat and wanted it redone, wouldn't you do the same? How do you think those marble tiles in the bathroom come off? Bad behaviour is the dude who decides to experiment with his drill past 6pm. I can assure you, he'll get a knock from me on the door and see a facial expression that he won't forget so soon.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast