winter is upon us

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    In English pants mean underwear, in the US for some reason they wear their pants on the outside. Pants = trousers.
    ahhh got yah.

It's like why we Americans wonder why the Brits proclaim their sexuality when having a cig
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley:
    that's because they're superheros
    LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by ccino:
    ahhh got yah.

It's like why we Americans wonder why the Brits proclaim their sexuality when having a cig

LMAO
    Or why we Brits think you are being incredibly rude when you slap a woman's fanny

Or why we Brits think you are being incredibly rude when you slap a woman's fanny
    I was joking...and not sure what you are referencing. Slapping asses I don't think is isolated to only males from the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by ccino:
    I was joking...and not sure what you are referencing. Slapping asses I don't think is isolated to only males from the U.S.
    because a fanny in the UK does not refer to an ass but instead, how shall I put this, a woman's genitalia. So when we hear an American saying I slapped her fanny......

oh and we say arse not ass as well.

Oh is THAT why yanks call "bum bags" "fanny packs"??? I had always wondered that..... I don't understand the one about the sexuality and the cigs either...

just like thongs...

thongs in australia mean sandals, but elsewhere it's a g-string underwear ...

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I don't understand the one about the sexuality and the cigs either...
    To bum a fag off someone in English means to scrounge a cigarette from them. In American it is something altogether messier.

AAAAHHHH - now I get you!

Quote Originally Posted by Star Gazer:
    just like thongs...
    thongs in australia mean sandals, but elsewhere it's a g-string underwear ...
    " I was in a hurry this morning, I ran until my thong fell off. "

nobody should flinch at someone saying that

because a fanny in the UK does not refer to an ass but instead, how shall I put this, a woman's genitalia. So when we hear an American saying I slapped her fanny......

oh and we say arse not ass as well.
    Yep, I smirk when I see a local girl at a shop with a Fanny name tag lol

But in Australia, another word for fanny, is "the front bum" .

Quote Originally Posted by Star Gazer:
    just like thongs...

thongs in Australia mean sandals, but elsewhere it's a g-string underwear ...

Actually no they/we/I don't, sandles are called sandles in Australia. Pictured below

Thongs, the rubber foot wear variety, have been around in Australia since 1956, and so has the Aussie word associated to them. However, the New Zealanders produced the first rubber versions, and called them jandles, their merging of two words, Japanese sandles. Which is where the idea came from, Japan....

The Americans stealing our words again, and then indoctrinating the world with their name for a piece of clothing that has commonly been around under one form, or another, ie the G string or loin cloth, for 1000's of years..... lol

But thong, was our word, associated to foot ware first .

Boy, didn't this thread go off topic. Must be a result of the cooler weather

Also, why do only the left Thong/flip flops, turn up lost at the beach ? It's never the right one........?

click on the above youtube banner, as it wont play on geo as an embedded video.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 11-11-2008 at 01:21 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast