Like Tree31Likes

Vice Article - FDH Abuse Rampant in HK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vice Article - FDH Abuse Rampant in HK

Good to see some international press on the abuse of helpers here in Asia's World City

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/f...ong-kong-v24n3

ast year, the Hong Kong government passed a new rule to protect foreign domestic workers from cleaning high windows; in January of this year, it announced a code of practice for employment agencies. But little else has been done at the top level to ensure the workers' basic human rights. "There's a lack of acknowledgement that what migrant workers do is work—that it's a valuable contribution to Hong Kong," said Anderson, drawing on the Justice Center's interviews with foreign domestic workers. "Many talked about a general lack of respect for them as people—they were told what to wear, when they could go to the bathroom, and criticized for everything."

In March 2016, Anderson co-authored a report that found that 17 percent of more than 1,000 foreign domestic workers experienced conditions tantamount to forced labor. According to the Justice Center's interviews, these women were working and living under duress. They were on call day and night, their wages were manipulated, and their identity documents were confiscated. Employers also purposely isolated them, in many cases, allegedly taking away their cellphones.

Why foreign domestic workers stay trapped within this system of abuse is nuanced. The Hong Kong government only allows them to stay in the city for two weeks if their contracts are terminated—often deterring women from reporting severe cases of abuse. Beyond that, many are caught in spiraling debts to the employment agencies that brokered their contracts and are meanwhile breadwinners for their husbands and children in their home countries.
    shri and Elegiaque like this.

This will unfortunately never change. The government does next to nothing, they put rules but never check if they are applied. You need to have a room for your helper? Oh yeah just make it up in contract about the size of your flat and it will be fine. I know this helper who is banned from taking shower in the flat, so she needs to go to her friends place or at the public gym. She can't leave as employers frown on people who leave before the end of the contract, as this is a sign they will leave if you treat them bad.

Most of the times if the helper complain to the police they will rarely side with them.

There is also a cultural thing where they don't even want to admit there is something fucked up with the entire situation. Everytime I pointed it to colleagues they always try to find an example of when a helper stole something or did something bad.

They should really allow Stay-out helpers and also let them do part time if employer doesn't need one all the time. That would be really funny if they kick out all helpers in HK, the riots will be worse than Umbrella movement lol

I simply don't get it. I really don't understand why some people would treat their helpers the way they do. It just doesn't make any logical sense.

its management 101...treat someone well and w respect and you will have good results most of then than not. 11 years here and I have still not figured that one out... locals and expat alike... all the bad employers.

am sure am not perfect and my helper sometimes must be complaining, like we all do, abt her boss but still.. food.. pay.. privacy... holidays... medical.. bonuses etc she has and she seems happy w and in return she does a decent job w the boy... I get it that some people have little space and money... but that doesn't mean u have to treat them bad on top of it... really shaking my head.

jmbf, Nep, angeluscomplex and 5 others like this.

I'm totally with you on this as well @Mat still cannot figure how these so called people can be so shit and treat a fellow human being as rubbish just because they are from a different country and work as a Domestic Helper, doesnt mean they are SLAVES and you own them FFS.

heck if I was a DH and got treated like shit and abused, I would slowly poison you and hope you suffer as much as possible LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    its management 101...treat someone well and w respect and you will have good results most of then than not. 11 years here and I have still not figured that one out... locals and expat alike... all the bad employers.
    @Mat nothing to do with logic, management 101 is a very bold assumption. Disagree if you like, it seems to me that the majority families are not well educated, and would not have clue about management 101. I guess they try to apply the same rules that they suffered as a child, and I will not try to make excuses for them.

The Government has ignored this abuse for too many years, it is shameful. I don't expect that a family that treats a helper like shit today will ever change without the political will to force Government civil servants to enforce basic decency rules, but that means admitting some people are not so decent.

FFS civil servants hide in their office avoiding checking fire safety of buildings, so I have little hope that helper abuse can be eradicated anytime soon. I should be hopeful, increasingly social media allows sharing and airing dirty secrets, and perhaps more citizens will force the Government to act.
    kimwy66, hullexile and Plutark like this.

DH stay outside? Possible other problems will arise. They will be misused several parties. Staying outside is also a risk where they live, house rents a bad condition due to low prices, disease, pregnancy, and part time selected can be prostitution (easy to get money). And it's easy for their boyfriends for their evening date.

Wow, thanks for those insights. It is amazing any of us manage to live apart from our employers, due to the risks of us getting pregnant and diseases.

FFS

Stu79, greenmark, Plutark and 6 others like this.

Treat them like you want to be treated. How people can do those kind of things to others is beyond me.
    And the government should also start treating them as any other employee coming to HK to work. Pure discrimination!

Worried because of pregnancy, because of the job and her boyfriend who can not be responsible? then take the way to abort illegally, up to enter the fetus in the toilet....
    Less education and maturity could encourage DH to do it.
    That is one reason DH to be protected. I think

Quote Originally Posted by Selo17:
    Worried because of pregnancy, because of the job and her boyfriend who can not be responsible? then take the way to abort illegally, up to enter the fetus in the toilet....
    Less education and maturity could encourage DH to do it.
    That is one reason DH to be protected. I think
    Well, that escalated quickly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast