Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By drumbrake

Residential roof top ownership?

Closed Thread

Residential roof top ownership?

Hi

I live in a residetial block in Central. There is no building management service I know of and the landlord is unsure...

We have a rooftop with decent open space which I would like to use. It appears to be split in 2 with one side clearly used by the apartment below as it has all sorts on it with washing machine etc. The other is basically empty and looks communal. The stairway upto both is laden with boxes and things from apartments below.

My question is, how can I find out if I can use the rooftop legally? I will ask the apartments if I can use it but not sure if they speak english and also if they will be truthful. Any advice on who I can contact?

Usually the top floor flats also own the rooftop space, or a portion of it. (At least in older buildings)

Last edited by drumbrake; 16-04-2017 at 02:36 PM.
    emx likes this.

Usually the roof top is common area to be used as a refuge area in case of fire.

From "Code of Practice for Fire Safety in Buildings 2011"

As defined in the Fire Services (Fire Hazard Abatement) Regulation (Cap. 95F), “means of escape” means such means of escape as may be required for the safety of persons having regard to the use or intended use of the premises. Hence, the Fire services Department requires all building exit door(s) including any door or gate erected at the section of a common staircase between the topmost floor and the roof to be readily and conveniently openable from the staircase side without the use of a key.

If your lease does not include the rooftop, you should not use it.

Usually belongs to the top floor. It is also common area in the event of fire but generally doesn't mean it's common area. You can check the land search records if you're very keen and the roof will be spelled out in the land record if it belongs to the top unit.

If you are not the top floor then shouldn't bother. It's definitely someone else's.

If you rent the apt, you can check with your landlord. If it belongs to your flat or landlord then you may use it. Some roof are belongs to the top floor. Some belings to the whole bldg, all can use or the mgt can use (public use).

Dear you must see the owner of the building and don't give money to some one unless you are sure , he is the owner