Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By emx

Bringing in spices from Europe

Closed Thread

Bringing in spices from Europe

Hi guys!

I plan on selling my natural herbs and spices here in Hong Kong, though not really sure if customs would allow me to even bring them in.

Couldn't find anything on the government website. I really would appreciate it if someone could help.

Thanks

I bring in heaps of herbs and cooking paraphernalia from France and Italy, everytime we visit...

No issue in HK.

Even if i bring them in bulk? Wouldn't want any issues at the airport.

Thank you for your response!

Quote Originally Posted by giz_1:
    Couldn't find anything on the government website.
    Centre for Food Safety - Imported Food Control - Guide to import of Food into HK

http://www.cfs.gov.hk/english/whatsn...lication_e.pdf

2.1 The followings are legal definitions of some common terms relevant to the registration requirement under the Ordinance –
    “Food” includes –
    (e) articles and substances used as ingredients in the preparation of food,
    flameproof likes this.

@emx is right, for commercial import the minimum you need is a food importers license. I recall that are near free, or the fee was in the 3-figure range. You have to specify what food you plan import, it's multible choice.

I don't think there is anything required in terms of handling etc for dried spices.

After you get your licence (cheap), and then you do your import, don't forget to do your import declaration which is also cheap...but if you forget, you'll get an expensive fine

Hong Kong Customs and Excise Department - Import and Export Declaration