Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chuckster007

Will I have to pay alimony?

Closed Thread

Will I have to pay alimony?

Okay, the details.

We both agreed to mutually divorce for personal reasons.
    We are both permanent residents in HK.
    She owns the house we live in, no need to pay rent.
    We have two children under the age of 6.
    She said she wants to continue to look after our children but I'm happy to take care of the kids when she's busy and my schedule permits, on weekends, etc.
    We both earn around 20,000HKD a month.

Being as she will continue to look after the children, roughly how much do you think I will have to pay for maintenance per month?

I need to start thinking about renting and living costs.

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Get legal advice?

Eventually, thought I'd start here though to see what I should expect.

By the sounds of it, your divorce is mutually agreed and should be amicable? To sort out the alimony/ child support dilemma, your best best is to meet with a mediator. This will save you money plus help you both come to an agreement before hiring expensive lawyers to do the final paperwork et al. No one can tell you what you will pay until you sort it out with your soon to be ex spouse. As your wife wants to keep the children living with her, then she must understand that while you will support the children and have some liveable life, plus have access to your children.

Tough question, I would give at least half my salary to help contribute towards the kids education and a helper to assist with household work. 10k is a bit tough to live on so I would definitely look for a job which pays more.

Since its amicable, ask her what amount roughly she would require. Does she intend to return to work? If she plans to work, then you would need to meet the cost of a helper, and contribute to utilities, food and school fees. On the other hand, who owns the family home? Sounds like it is mortgage free, so that is a matrimonial asset both parties being entitled to 50% share in it. You could gift her your share to take care of all future maintenance costs, or ask her to buy you out.

Yes, it's amicable. The house is her families, not mine.

That's the issue, I could probably live on 15K, but 10K would be difficult having to pay rent.

Lots to ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by periphery831:
    That's the issue, I could probably live on 15K, but 10K would be difficult having to pay rent.
    Suck it up and dont divorce if you cant afford to
    shri likes this.