Like Tree62Likes

Crazies (walking on escalators)

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Actually the best strategy would have been to just sneeze on him as you bumped. He would never have followed you then....
    Good idea. I have found that, that method actually works when you sneeze on the MTR - has cleared a seat either side of me before. ( and no, I had not been on an ultra long, hot and sweaty hike.)
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by joyojc:
    If someone accidentally bumping into you is a crazy, I'm very curious what you'd call a grown man pissing on the mass transit system. Please come to San Francisco.
    Once, on the NYC subway, two guys gave us very strange, aggressive looks on the platform. We got on the train and in the same car as these guys. They were smoking PCP dipped cigarettes (wet/sherm sticks) on the platform, and again on the train. They started hitting on a gorgeous Latina girl opposite me, in a very creepy fashion. Then the train turned sharply and one of the guys fell on the girl and then fell to the floor. She was looking at me the whole time with pleading eyes. I was ready to get up if necessary. I stayed on the train past my stop to make sure they were ok. They got off the train and then we rode back a stop.
    civil_servant and Bbcjames like this.

Funny I grew up in a small town where there were maybe two escalators, one at the mall and one at the hospital. Later I got schooled by Londoners on standing to the right when exiting the tubes. You'd be lucky if you got a polite throat clear or pardon me, usually a poke from a brolly or briefcase.

After living in Korea for years I became accustomed to bumping into folks and being knocked into downtown and just continuing on, if you were to say excuse me each time you'd never get anywhere! Then on a stopover in Toronto I realized how conditioned I had become when I almost knocked a guy over and kept walking, he turned eyes wide open, exasperated, arms flung open with a WTF? expression. I quickly apologized and said "I've been away too long."

Escalators were introduced over a century ago and when folks took their first rides on them in department stores they were given a glass of brandy at the top to cope with the harrowing experience. So today, after so much history and familiarity, I just don't get how most people (everywhere) still don't know how to ride them and seem especially clueless as to how to disembark at the top or bottom. Looking puzzled as if trying to calculate the speed differential between the moving walk (at what 2kph?) and their own normal walking speed.

I'm with other posters, if you want to live in a large city you have to let these petty annoyances go, it's just not worth getting upset over, because in the end you're the only person losing out.

FYI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN6gwhN9Nic

Ofnpanad and R.O. like this.

Hmm....not sure why the video isn't showing:

https://youtu.be/1-9CMhWbgmY

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5