Like Tree5Likes

Silica powder for Bed bugs

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Silica powder for Bed bugs

Hi all,
    So we moved to this new apartment and I saw a bed bug. I want to stop the problem as soon as possible and have read up that silica gel powder is most effective in killing them by dehydration. Question is where can I buy it?

mgrajkumar likes this.

Diatomaceous earth! You want the food grade stuff. Do not breathe in. In a pinch you can buy it on eBay. That stuff definitely works.

Rob2020 likes this.

I'll add that you can sprinkle it around beds, mattress bases, sides of beds, in the seams of couches and around couches and on the legs of couches, and anywhere else bedbugs are likely to physically walk. It creates microserrations in their bodies, apparently, and causes them to dry out. It will also tear up your eyes, skin and airways, so handle and use with care. Minimize the amount of dust you stir up.

Steamers work very well, but you will need to find the nest(s) and then steam the heck out of them.

chingleutsch likes this.

Thanks all. The linked thread by Shri provides way to buy power for pets. What I am looking for is something like what is used in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWiu07UDH50

A power applicator would be good too.

I tried asking around some hardware shops but failed miserably in explaining what I wanted. Photos and Youtube videos were of little help as most of them ended up suggesting sprays for roaches and mites.

So back to my query, where does one get this "amorphous silicon gel powder" in Hong Kong?

Thanks

Original Post Deleted
    . Gave up finding it in local shops and ordered from Amazon. Lets see how I do with brushing it once I get the shipment.
    jayinhongkong likes this.

You need to leave it in place for months--bedbugs can go 6 months to a year without feeding, so if they don't crawl over it before you clean it up, they'll go right back to biting and breeding.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    You need to leave it in place for months--bedbugs can go 6 months to a year without feeding, so if they don't crawl over it before you clean it up, they'll go right back to biting and breeding.
    Yup, so I read. Still waiting for the order but what has worked very well is using a steam iron on the bed. Ironed the mattress and used the force steam function on all the cracks and joints in the wood.
    jayinhongkong likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast