Like Tree7Likes

Racism in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    I think looks are a non-issue but common interests with locals will be an issue for you. At universities in Canada, they have clubs like for CBCs - Canadian Born Chinese which to me means any born in HK or elsewhere are not welcome. I have asked numerous Chinese if they are offended by that and nope - apparently just me. They want to hang out with friends with common interests and backgrounds to them and it is not CBCs.
    I remember in HS and College I've seen clubs like that, but they were never segregative (not even sure if that's a word). The clubs were meant to attract people who were born with similiar backgrounds (in your example chinese people born in canada), but always let people of not that background to be part of those clubs.

As for this subject, in a broad sense no matter where you are there will always be a degree of racism. Depending on where you are the degree of racism and prejudice.

I am not mixed but being here for 2 weeks I always get stared at. I think you will always get looks if people feel you aren't from around here. But I don't think you should feel like they are looking down on you or would preclude you from anything. They will try to rip you off if you they think you have money though .

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Or, often, whether they are male or female! The wimpy, campy metrosexual look seems to be the way here.
    Whenever I see a long haired guy with a big handbag, I want to flounce over and bitch-slap some sense into him

I haven't had any problems, but I'm now used to people staring in general and just give the evil back if i'm not in the mood! I definately haven't had any 'racism' towards me here.

Having said that, if you are fluent in Chinese/Canto, it does have advantages as a conversation starter (altho it does get boring, quickly the same usual questions) and even get you discounts when you are bargaining!

I love being looked at

Quote Originally Posted by Kushka:
    I've got the occasional weird look whilst in Malaysia, should I expect the same here?

Assuming my cantonese is impeccable, should I expect to be asked questions about my parentage/nationality from strangers?

And is there any active prejudice or discrimination against "half-breeds"?

I should add that I'm not white. In fact, I look Chinese expect I have larger eyes, western eye-lids and a vaguely English head. I'm aware that was quite trivial but these things are often skin-deep.

Anyway, thanks for any help
    I don't care what people think of me. When people look at me, I've always think because I'm beautiful! It doesn't bother me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tiki:
    I don't care what people think of me. When people look at me, I've always think because I'm beautiful! It doesn't bother me at all.
    i find people look at me on the street because im handsome

forget the American Club or Hong Kong Club or China Club... lets start a Beautiful People's Club

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Not all locals are bad.
    Love this innocent comment

I think people stare if anyone looks different or unusual I know I do (although I am discreet...I think) but it doesn't mean it's in a nasty way.

Most people are just bored and when you are walking you look at whatever is most interesting.
    I have to say I do stare (subtly of course) at half chinese, white people because I'm really curious to know what my children would look like if I had them with my bf.

Last edited by London2HK; 23-04-2009 at 07:37 PM.

Well, there's glancing and then there's staring.

If I'm out with my wife and we're in the N.T., I find that we're often on the receiving end of a lot of out-and-out staring - often by senior citizens, but also frequently by middle-aged housewife types. We're talking head-turned, mouth agape staring.

My wife is a locally-born woman. I am perhaps not as handsome as she is attractive, but I'm not obese, a mutant, burn victim, etc. either. There's no great age disparity or anything else that could conceivably warrant an inordinate amount of attention ... except that I happen to be white and she is not.

Although it's easy to tell oneself to ignore it, and we usually do, I occasionally stare back with the same zombie-like expression that I see on their faces ... or ask them, in Cantonese, if they like what they see. Without fail, they quickly look away without saying a word.

Last edited by dear giant; 24-04-2009 at 09:52 AM.

I think you're overreacting.

I used to get it all the time on the MTR when I went through a brief period of travelling with backpack full of rockclimbing equipment whilst working on a laptop. It was an odd visual mix, so people used to full on stare for long periods of time. Depending on my mood, I'd either find it amusing or annoying, but I could tell that they didn't think they were being rude.

Anyone who's travelled in rural or pre 90's China will have noticed that foreigners are/were stared at unmercifully, often by crowds. There's no malice in it, just simple curiosity.

In English, there is a phrase "it's rude to stare". I don't think that there is an equivalent in chinese.

when something is different, then people will look.

When i was in the UK in a small village in the countryside, people there would stare (and even offer some abusive comments ) because i am an oriental.

whilst the staring is not as bad as it would be in hong kong or china. it is humans natural curiosity. but in UK, the social norms make us turn away and not stare when we desperately want to check them out more... but there isnt this social norm here.