Like Tree5Likes

Urgent: Ceiling Fans with Lights. Where in Causeway Bay/Wan Chai

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    It'd be worth looking into DC brushless fans, they are much lower power than older style AC fans- something in the vicinity of <20W vs around 80W at max speeds. I've also found that there's a signfificant noise difference between well designed, and traditional/rectangular blades.

I spent months looking at fans and recall having real problems finding something with a decently bright light option (that wasn't absolutely tacky at the same time). In the end I binned the idea of a light.
    These are good points you bring up.

Is there a certain shop that you recommend for DC brushless fans? Does anything special have to be done to the wiring to install one of these DC units (sorry but I do not know the technical aspects of electricity here)?

I don't think I will be able to go for a non lighted version for the bedrooms. I think some of them had up to 85 watts LED on them.

I find retail shopping in HK to be a frustrating experience in general- after a bit of noob internet research I knew far more about fan specs and product range than anyone I met in a store. I ended up being told by about 5 different stores that what I wanted didn't exist in Hong Kong, only to evenually find it at a one HK online retailer.

If you're going to run a light and rely on a wall control, you're going to need three or four wires running to the fan (I can't remember which, sorry). As the light runs on a separate circuit to the fan (obviously).

Or you can just use a remote control for fan speed and light control, and not worry about the wiring.

85W LEDs doesn't sound right, you might be talking about Halogen? But it'd probably be an E27 screw type socket and you could whack an LED bulb into it. You won't be able to run a dimmer though.

Rayzilla likes this.

Or you can just use a remote control for fan speed and light control, and not worry about the wiring.

85W LEDs doesn't sound right, you might be talking about Halogen? But it'd probably be an E27 screw type socket and you could whack an LED bulb into it. You won't be able to run a dimmer though.
    The remote control is probably the best way to go. It sounds so much easier. Maybe it would be good to even buy extra remotes just in case since you expect the fans to last a fairly long time.

You must be right about the wattage of the LED lights. 85 doesn't sound right based on most that I've seen.

So if it is DC driven, it can be wired up to the regular wiring for the ceiling light? Is extra drilling required to install in the fans onto the ceiling properly?

Thanks.

> You must be right about the wattage of the LED lights. 85 doesn't sound right based on most that I've seen.

Just remembered, Modern Fan Co makes a bunch of fans with reasonably bright (20W) LED attachments.

> So if it is DC driven, it can be wired up to the regular wiring for the ceiling light? Is extra drilling required to
    > install in the fans onto the ceiling properly?

Yeah, existing wiring. Using a remote pretty much removes any potential wiring complexity (far as I know anyway) it was the non-remote options that might need additional wiring.

Dunno what you mean by extra drilling though, 'cause yeah, you have to drill holes in the ceiling to mount a fan...

Dunno what you mean by extra drilling though, 'cause yeah, you have to drill holes in the ceiling to mount a fan...
    Yes, that makes sense. I'm not sure why I asked that silly question. lol

Thanks for your help here.