Like Tree77Likes

Is it time to part ways with our helper?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Don't try to solve their problems. This is the way DH's are. Also they usually don't come clean about the story, and it sounds fishy to begin with. Gets annoying. Different culture. Respect it, deal with it and move on. You can pay more to get someone with more skills if you're really that particular. Or as I know some employers pay extra so their DH don't have holidays or yappy time to get bad or cunning ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    She thought the frying pan made them brown.
    Well, technically she isn't wrong
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz:
    We have had issues with a helper who racked up nearly 200K in debt in a very short space of time and after she left we still had to deal with the multiple loan sharks and their triad henchmen (horrible experience) after discussions with policemen and lawyers we paid off the debt to move on with our lives. (She was a fantastic woman and our helper for 14 years before she got suckered into a scam - we tried our best to help her but the con men really had such a good grip on her it was useless.
    @MandM! one example. In my building if you follow someone in or look like a delivery man you can get inside.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Or as I know some employers pay extra so their DH don't have holidays or yappy time to get bad or cunning ideas.
    Um....is that legal? (Apart from normal respect for employees as human beings and therefore not arbitrarily subject to home confinement )

Dear God, my personal slave is broken, what should I do?

First world problem in HK

Do what every other family do in the rest of the developed world, take care of your kids

Quote Originally Posted by z754103:
    Um....is that legal? (Apart from normal respect for employees as human beings and therefore not arbitrarily subject to home confinement )
    It is illegal, immoral and will not lead to a productive worker. MandM should report them.
    irisboards likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    Its both persons jobs to clear up the mess they made.. not just the husband or the wife's job...
    Yes, but how bloody often are men off the hook from this kind of responsibility, so much so that it wouldn't warrant comment. But here you remark how women are lazy about cleaning up after themselves. That is the problem. I completely agree with you about it being equally the responsibility of both men and women. Sadly, even in cases where whoever (man or woman) can pay for someone to take care of things for themselves, it will most likely always be a woman they pay to do it. It never really hit me until I came to Hong Kong how unequal the responsibilities of the home are and how women are seen as the "carers". The professional women I know in Hong Kong (minus HK_Katherine) have not just one but two helpers are home carrying the burden (not a husband).

Sorry -- very off topic comment.

Hope the OP can make a decision they feel comfortable with in the end. And I've also experienced how uncomfortable helpers are about discussing finances with their boss. So while you feel you maybe set the guideline that they must discuss first with you, they will simply feel so uncomfortable about it that they won't follow that. Perhaps you can find another approach? Just being friendlier in a way that might be our approach in the West doesn't seem to work in my experience...
    merchantms likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5