Like Tree26Likes

Taxi driver reported me to police what should I do now?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    Sorry you had to experience this. This seems to be happening quite frequently. A friend helped a guy a few weeks ago who was passed out on the street in Wanchai after he was robbed of his wallet and phone. Not sure if he was taken to the ATM too.

The max you can withdraw from SCB is $6000/transaction. So you/they must have done it 5x.
    They took me to HSBC ATM and forced me to withdraw several times: 1000, 3000, 2000, 5000, 17000 (i checked day after on bank hotline). Then something must got blocked because they stopped. Later they took me to same bars and drank on my account, so in total there was 30K. Probably once it get the limit, the card got blocked by itself. If the limit would be set to 80k, I would got robed on 80k or even more, cause as I read after, it is possible to exceed the limit for a short time.
    Just wanted to fuck in LKF and instead I got fucked for my savings. Shame on me. Never again.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    That sucks. Sorry to hear that. I guess a lesson is to bring $1000 cash only when you go out. Put enough taxi money in your sock. And leave the cards at home.

Surprised so many on here experienced that. I avoid Wan Chai but know many who frequent there. Wonder if they have any stories. Used to work with a few and they frequently came into work bruised up and bloodied.
    Yeah.. I used to do like that in the past. But living in HK got me fake feeling I am living in very safe city. Expensive mistake.

First of all PLEASE try not to get so plastered because there are certain girls that prey on reallly drunk guys like you were that night. Sometimes they even do worse things like the two guys found DEAD in a hotel room years ago in Wan Chai. The hotel was a five star hotel too! Then secondly it doesn't sound like the police put such a petty offense on your record or any record. Probably not. It's too minuscule to do that. Over 80 $HK! It's not like you actually stole money from his pocket. No. So don't worry. The main note here is just be more careful. Be smart. Have fun but be smart too. Know your limits.

Editor and HKSGHK like this.

FYI I've had a similar experience. I've made a thread about it here.
    https://geoexpat.com/forum/8/thread344844.html

Quote Originally Posted by peterose:
    FYI I've had a similar experience. I've made a thread about it here.
    https://geoexpat.com/forum/8/thread344844.html
    So update:
    The police officer refused me to open the case. We checked the ATM cctv but it wasn't clear: I was with somebody who was staying out of the scope of camera, I widrawl money and I gone. I don't have any other proof of scam, I don't have a witness. The cash just gone.
    Since the police didn't open the case, I cannot even claim back money from my bank card insurance.

That's terrible. Nothing to add, but I am sorry it happened to you.

Quote Originally Posted by artilekt:
    So update:
    The police officer refused me to open the case. We checked the ATM cctv but it wasn't clear: I was with somebody who was staying out of the scope of camera, I widrawl money and I gone. I don't have any other proof of scam, I don't have a witness. The cash just gone.
    Since the police didn't open the case, I cannot even claim back money from my bank card insurance.
    At least you went to the police. You are now a statistic.

Better CCTV around Wanchai would be a deterrent for potential scammers.
    Last edited by East_coast; 23-08-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    Not a crime statistic but a visitor to the police station statistic

Can the police refuse to open a case? they even do it for lost property so if you said you lost the money in the street, that would be ok? But if you say you lost it as in a scam, its not?

It may not help with your insurance claim but maybe it would have helped with your sense of closure.