Like Tree3Likes

Transferring money to the UK

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Seagulls!
    I'm pretty sure that they don't do HKD>GBP, just the reverse.
    According to their home page they do transfer from HKD to GBP. Their home page shows the fee they charge and the exchange rate they use for such a money transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Windmill65
    According to their home page they do transfer from HKD to GBP. Their home page shows the fee they charge and the exchange rate they use for such a money transfer.
    They must have changed quite recently then, because I tried about 6 weeks ago and they couldn't facilitate it.

Hi if you open up hsbc accounts in both countries you can just do an online transfer between your accounts. It's easy and it happens instantly. If you qualify for Premier you will get global view which means you can transact across all of your worldwide accounts. Very convenient for frequent transfers.

Christctc likes this.

Not likely applicable to the OP

There are no fees if you are HSBC Premier and you can do HKD To GBP. I do it every month.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolitadecosta
    There are no fees if you are HSBC Premier and you can do HKD To GBP. I do it every month.
    Fees are embedded in the FX ! (<= from an otherwise satisfied HSBC client, not a hater)

I do the same with Citibank, free global transfers but the FX Rate is not the best. Is fine if you just need to send small amounts over but I'd look for an alternative for large sums.

You could also open HSBC expat accounts if you qualify for Premier and then for large amounts you get access to better rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolitadecosta
    You could also open HSBC expat accounts if you qualify for Premier and then for large amounts you get access to better rates.
    Before replying, have you looked at what the OP said?

"but I plan to save at least a few thousand pounds..."

someone who is looking to save a few thousand pounds is not going to have the 1mil HKD to open the HSBC premier account in Hong Kong and then the required dosh to do same in the UK

True, although, to be pedantic, you only need to meet the HSBC Premier criterion in one country, and then you are regarded as a Premier customer globally.

And Global Transfer is also available to HSBC Advance Customers, albeit for a fee (smaller than the normal wire transfer fee).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3