Like Tree6Likes

Hk chocking itself to death with population density

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by romperstomper:
    i do find the locals to be so regimented , such rule followers in the main part
    This reminds me of a little quirk i noticed recently that a huge percentage of white people in Hong Kong jaywalk. I did a mental calculation a few months ago, and noticed that at crossings, about 80% of the white people would jay walk. But only about 20-30% of Chinese jaywalk (this figure is approximate since there were more Chinese to count).

Anyone know of reasons why? is it white privilege? are they more in a rush/busier? are chinese just rule followers? But you also get the old chinese men and women who just cross the road whenever, wherever even in front of cars. Is their mentality different?

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    This reminds me of a little quirk i noticed recently that a huge percentage of white people in Hong Kong jaywalk. I did a mental calculation a few months ago, and noticed that at crossings, about 80% of the white people would jay walk. But only about 20-30% of Chinese jaywalk (this figure is approximate since there were more Chinese to count).

Anyone know of reasons why? is it white privilege? are they more in a rush/busier? are chinese just rule followers? But you also get the old chinese men and women who just cross the road whenever, wherever even in front of cars. Is their mentality different?
    I always found this odd as well - for a city where people are always so keen to get a move on (e.g., slamming the close door button on the lifts) I wonder why people dont jaywalk. I reckoned it's because everyone is so fixed on their phones they can't be bothered to watch the traffic patterns instead.

Individual vs crowd behaviour. Chinese people follow what other chinese people do. If most people stand, all the rest do too. Westerners are individuals - they each make their own decision about what is safe and which rules are worth following.

I used to see this when I led hikes - westerners were happy to exit early, do the hard route or otherwise make their own decisions based on their own fitness/stamina etc. locals would just follow the crowd even if they were dying (and thus cause problems later).

Yawn.

Quote Originally Posted by dentarthurdent:
    Indeed, but I'm not an expat, I'm an immigrant. Something like 30% of the pouplation of HK are first generation immigrants.
    Expats are immigrants. Some are short term and some are longer term.

Hong Kong is more deferential than many places in the west but for things like queuing for a bus or crossing the road safely surely it is a social habit that is drummed in early and often so it becomes the norm.

Pedestrian causalities stay stubbornly high in Hong Kong

So perhaps if non-locals had had years of conditioning they too would obey the rules and set good examples for the less able in society.

Quote Originally Posted by romperstomper:
    I dont hate Chinese at all lived in China many years - many are under educated and wont add to Hk unless short of unskilled labor
    Also ironic that you complain about under-educated people using primary school level grammar. Apologies if English is your second language.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Individual vs crowd behaviour. Chinese people follow what other chinese people do. If most people stand, all the rest do too. Westerners are individuals - they each make their own decision about what is safe and which rules are worth following.

I used to see this when I led hikes - westerners were happy to exit early, do the hard route or otherwise make their own decisions based on their own fitness/stamina etc. locals would just follow the crowd even if they were dying (and thus cause problems later).
    I've also noticed that locals wait for cars at zebra crossings, not understanding that they have right of way.

In the UK jaywalking seems to be the norm - everyone does it and no one pays any attention. I remember seeing two policemen crossing with red light on - just leisurely chatting, not in pursuit of any criminals or such like.

Quote Originally Posted by orel100x:
    In the UK jaywalking seems to be the norm - everyone does it and no one pays any attention. I remember seeing two policemen crossing with red light on - just leisurely chatting, not in pursuit of any criminals or such like.
    That's because the UK has no such law with regards to jaywalking, that I'm aware of.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast