Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hullexile

Catholic Baptism

Closed Thread

Catholic Baptism

My fellow compatriot, asked me a fellow Catholic, who also lives in Mid-levels and has lived in Hong Kong for quite a while, how to get his infant daughter baptized at a Catholic Church?

I agreed to help out and ask around, but the Archdiocese of HK web site just explains the purpose of baptism, etc.

They don't frequent any particular Church in HK, probably because they have not been here very long. But anyway, without getting into a conversation about morality, Catholicism, the purpose of organized religion etc...

Does anybody have similar experiences in getting a child baptized at a Catholic Church in Hong Kong? How does one go about arranging something like this? They are not looking for a big family ceremony or anything, perhaps just a weekday afternoon deal where a priest could perform the baptism and they could make a donation. They are a European Couple.

Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty sure they need to demonstrate intent and ability to raise the child as Catholic. ( (otherwise not fair on kid). Not just a formality where they can pay someone to arrange a quick ceremony.

They should go chat to the parish priest of whatever their local parish is. Not sure if parents/godparents need to take any courses, but at the very least whoever's managing this in the parish will want to make sure of above.

Depending on where they live in midlevels, this could be St Joseph's church on garden road, the Cathedral on Caine road, St Anthony's Church on Pokfulam Road. Not sure if the chapel in Chi Fu Gardens counts as parish).

Am assuming there's no medical emergency or threat to life of kid, in which case different considerations likely apply.

Thanks....yes the father is Catholic and has his baptism certificate and intends to raise the kid Catholic of course. I've read some of the requirements online, but I guess the larger issue is how do you go about arranging it?

"Am assuming there's no medical emergency or threat to life of kid, in which case different considerations likely apply."

In the case of threat to life or medical emergency it's better to seek rational and tangible medical or legal assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    "Am assuming there's no medical emergency or threat to life of kid, in which case different considerations likely apply."

In the case of threat to life or medical emergency it's better to seek rational and tangible medical or legal assistance.
    The baptism is rushed in those cases, it is not being proposed as an alternative to medicine!
    shri likes this.