Like Tree69Likes

Rule requiring domestic workers to live with employers faces legal challenge

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    I didn't post it for that reason but it shows:

- 8% of total households have FDH
    -25% of households with young children have FDH

Fairly clear that presence of a child in the home is a driving factor in employment of an FDH, rather than need to get someone else to clean your toilets.

Anecdotally in my office not a single one of my childless colleagues - both local and expat - has a live-in helper. Everyone who has children on the other hand does.
    Mat likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    That same government just built a link to Hengqin island, a massive plot of land that allows for very spacious living conditions. No more shoe boxes if one is willing to venture outside the bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    That same government just built a link to Hengqin island, a massive plot of land that allows for very spacious living conditions. No more shoe boxes if one is willing to venture outside the bubble.
    Oh Dear... If you don't like the way Hong Kong is governed then move.....

Except most obviously move to freer more democratic countries not an Island of the wrong side of Zhuhai
    TheBrit and MerMer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    I didn't post it for that reason but it shows:

- 8% of total households have FDH
    -25% of households with young children have FDH

Fairly clear that presence of a child in the home is a driving factor in employment of an FDH, rather than need to get someone else to clean your toilets.

Anecdotally in my office not a single one of my childless colleagues - both local and expat - has a live-in helper. Everyone who has children on the other hand does.
    Same here:
    - People with kids 9/10 have a helper (1/2 don't as the wife/husband doesn't work)
    - People without kids 9/10 have no helper --- the two that have a helper are actually gweilos lol (to keep their flat and dogs...)

Frankly the Helper thing has nothing to do with people being lazy. It's all to do with:
    - no Day Care
    - no alternative
    - cheap labor
    etc etc

Some may become lazy out of it but that's not the primary reason at all.

Fuck load of lazy arse Brit and Aussie seating at the pub dowing down pints while the kids roam around suburban areas doing no good - getting home, smacking the kid a little, getting arse on fucking couch, watching TV, morning queue for benefits at the local whatever it is called "Gvt Center" - wonder how much those guys clean their house/toilets.

Yes I purposely used that example...there are plenty of those in the UK yet you don't say Brit are violent, uselss pig ...well same here, Locals are not useless, lazy employers. A few for sure, majority, don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:

Yes I purposely used that example...there are plenty of those in the UK yet you don't say Brit are violent, uselss pig ...well same here, Locals are not useless, lazy employers. A few for sure, majority, don't think so.
    I would agree there are lazier and probably more lazy people in the UK. But then i would blame that on the welfare there. The benefits they can get mean they can get more money from being sat on their arses than going to do low paid jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    I would agree there are lazier and probably more lazy people in the UK. But then i would blame that on the welfare there. The benefits they can get mean they can get more money from being sat on their arses than going to do low paid jobs.
    My point was not to compare who is lazier and who is less though. My point was to highlight that laziness isn't the reason helpers are employed in the first place...and then...if we talk about laziness...we can find some pretty much anywhere...with or without helpers.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    it also built an airport ....just sayin....

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    it also built an airport ....just sayin....
    Lol, you're full of wisdom today.
    TheBrit and HowardCoombs like this.

Today's update...

Shieh had argued that the rule is unlawful and unconstitutional, in terms of the prohibition against servitude in the Hong Kong Bill of Rights and the customary international rule against forced labour, because it heightened the risks of infringing helpers’ rights.

Citing government evidence, Shieh noted that officials had intended for foreign domestic helpers to be on standby 24 hours a day as they were expected to provide flexible and readily available services.
    Live-in rule forces domestic workers to be on call 24 hours a day, court hears | South China Morning Post

And?

I don't think this is going in the right direction.

I side with the Helpers overall but what's the plan if say they win and they are allowed to live out - then when? and how? and they wont be on call 24? Really?

I don't have answers either to be honest but I sure hope they are thinking this very very carefully and how to deal with the next step (either way). They win, great but then what? They lose - sad -> how much longer are they going to get shafted?

This whole helper thing just stink - I cant really see any good coming out of all of this.

Probably the best would be to have requirement for EMPLOYERS to fulfill (size of house, room / shower provided. amount of $ made every month etc etc and regular review by gvt professionals to assess if the employer/employee relationship is healthy) and for less well off people, gvt should make room for D care alternatives and the likes. But maybe that will create even more gap between have and have not....anyway let see.