Like Tree74Likes

Living in HK is stupid, the most expensive place in Asia

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Why does everyone need to own property? Is it your given right? I know a lot of locals who were here and working a well paying job back during SARS and during the GFC. Both times they did not buy, property was very affordable then, why did they not buy. Now they have remorse because they didn't buy and they wanted to earn the profits themselves too, only natural, also greedy.

Name another place that has affordable housing for everyone? And then how many of the people own? Even in the US where houses are cheaper, many people do not buy, it's a choice.

The younger generation should be saving money now and planning for the next time the HK property has a correction. Well, I'm sure even then you won't buy and simply complain when it goes up again. Developers will offer opportunities for younger buyers to get on the property ladder.

Life is not being eaten by the property market -- it's a cycle and as a result of the higher prices we can enjoy new clean shopping malls with good Air Con, convenient and working public transportation and a city that's constantly being developed -- many other parts of the world just run out of money and standstill! This all comes at a cost, and you can spend HK$25 to go from one end of HK to the other -- no other place offers these conveniences.
    Great post!

And it's actually only $2.30 to get from one end of HK to the other if you take the tram

I enjoy it here immensely. (at least i try...)
    (compared with Tokyo) the good stuff:
    lower income tax and 0 capital gain tax,
    great dim sum,
    great soup and congee,
    easier to travel to south east asian countries for vacation,
    indoor smoking is forbidden (thank goodness...),
    the not so good stuff:
    Japanese cuisine is more expensive and not as good (duh),
    air quality,
    feels more crowded than tokyo somehow maybe i'm wrong,

Cheers ....
    Very cost effective ... : )

Original Post Deleted
    I think that's the key. Being here by choice leads to a different mindset.
    @Nimitz why not leave if you dislike HK so much?

Facts wouldn't lie, never biased.

How about you compare the rental price increases with the same in other cities. Let's look at Sydney and New York for example. Rent is not much cheaper than HK, and tax is at least 3 times more. And trust me, just because taxes are higher, does not mean the governments invest it in education, environment, or similar positive things.

You seem very negative and hateful toward HK and the people here.I would rethink my future plans if I was you. There may be another location more suitable to you

When someone argues by URL alone, it's generally a sign that they're not really going to listen to counter arguments.

imparanoic, chuckster007 and WMDS like this.

I'm from New Delhi, India and here are my thoughts:

1. Everything is costlier in HK than New Delhi. By Everything I Mean Food, Property, Cars, Transport Services
    2. Pollution is lesser than New Delhi
    3. People are much better
    4. Much better Medical Services.

All in All, HK is Costlier but no way stupid to live here as there are many things in HK that make your life amazing

shri and chuckster007 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadashi:
    I enjoy it here immensely. (at least i try...)
    (compared with Tokyo) the good stuff:
    lower income tax and 0 capital gain tax,
    great dim sum,
    great soup and congee,
    easier to travel to south east asian countries for vacation,
    indoor smoking is forbidden (thank goodness...),
    the not so good stuff:
    Japanese cuisine is more expensive and not as good (duh),
    air quality,
    feels more crowded than tokyo somehow maybe i'm wrong,
    I love Tokyo too though. HK Is definitely more crowded. You have 7 million people here compared to circa 9.25 million in Tokyo and crammed into a much much smaller space.

Taxes aside, I think I'd rather live in Tokyo than Hong Kong but unfortunately the language barrier and my job are preventing that.

Indoor smoking is still rife in Hong Kong in the more local bars.

Quote Originally Posted by sunyhk:
    I'm from New Delhi, India and here are my thoughts:

1. Everything is costlier in HK than New Delhi. By Everything I Mean Food, Property, Cars, Transport Services
    2. Pollution is lesser than New Delhi
    3. People are much better
    4. Much better Medical Services.

All in All, HK is Costlier but no way stupid to live here as there are many things in HK that make your life amazing
    Delhi vs HK is not an ideal comparison. Public transport is cheap cheap cheap.... Taxis are affordable... Food-CDC or food courts are affordable... there are local or small restaurants which offers cheap food. I’ve survived on $100 per day eating out when I took an apartment here(2month deposit-1month rent-.5 deposit)