Like Tree353Likes

Where to next after Hong Kong ?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

i miss the weather in london, it makes you feel less guilty for staying in all the time

For us, it was my husband's job. Although he wanted the position in Sweden, HQ wanted him in SG. There would be no more job available in HK as his company were downsizing operations in HK, and shifting the HQ for the Asia Pacific region to Singapore.

Although he doesn't miss much of HK ( basically worked and was not interested in creating a life outside of) , I do miss my friends - even if many have moved to other countries - hiking ( even my last trip back recently for Moontrekker, the typhoon prevented any hiking....) as SG does not have much hiking unless one goes to Malaysia. Other than that, I miss nothing of HK. IN SG, we have made friends and a life outside of work - hubby plays tennis once a week, quality of life seems healthier and easier. But this is not our end point. By April 2018, our house in semi rural Sweden will have been completed. A year later, my husband will have finished his SG contract and we move back to Sweden with our two beagles and lazy BSH mix cat. For us all it will be the best move, given the space ( fields, forest and also endless beach.), lifestyle ( quiet, a lot of space and nature, easy to cycle into the main town, or 5 mins drive.) Tennis for my husband and kayaking for me. Plenty of hiking as the area is part of the Skåneleden trail and also holds the odd trail running race every year. Jobs - for my husband, since they moved the rail line and subsequently, station, we live 15 mins walk away and provides easy access for him to reach most regional cities/ towns....My line of work would be more seasonal, but there seems to be a growing factor in this area near where we live. The crowds of HK we found disturbing and uncomfortable. It is more pet friendly here.

Definitely a use-by date for me and Hong Kong, but for financial reasons another couple of years. The air quality is a major issue for me, pushing and shoving grinds me down, and I do find dining out more miss than hit. I'd live in Japan again in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose. Though probably back home after hk - space, fresh local food, clean air... I must be getting old, it sounds so much more enticing than the bright lights and hustle and bustle.

Skyhook, TheBrit and jaykay like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cendrillon:
    A wise man once said you arrive in a foreign country with two bags. One for gold, the other for shit. When either is full it's time to leave. He then turned to the guy complaining about HK and said it seems like one of yours is full my friend

I was done with HK a while ago.
    Few visits now and then to settle up family affairs in HK but I'm happy and settled here in London.

Few years time I'll probably move back to Asia but it'll be Singapore to semi retire and split my time between London SG and Thailand.

rickyross, JaredHK and Mrs. Jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Plenty of food options, but the quality has been steadily dropping over the years. No doubt rent is a major factor here, leaving very few really good affordable resteraunts.
    But if I'm not mistaken, spam was in fashion a long time ago...

If we didn't have kids we'd probably stay a bit longer and save even more...but we're ready to leave and aim to re-locate to Finland in September 2018.

I have that amount of time to arrange my business so I can manage it remotely. I do intend to spend a little time here each year but not enough to keep an address here. I can camp at my MIL's place!

My kids and I hold British passports and we are planning to get Finnish residency before #Brexit although we feel we'd be able to get resident permit's regardless.

Main factors for leaving:

1.) The HK education system.
    2.) Increasing CCP interference.
    3.) The pollution.
    4.) The weather.

On a personal note...I don't want to keep working this hard. I'm pissed off every day by the rude behaviour and shitty attitude of many (not all!) local people.

I've been here for 8 years and it's the longest I've lived anywhere...the only thing I will miss is my friends.

Honestly speaking, I find the food here to be appalling. I'm not a 'city guy' anyway and I hate the rat race. Plenty about the culture I don't like... I expect my income to be cut in about half but I'm very willing to trade that for a better quality of life, more time, lower humidity, less noise, more trees, more peace, less cooking oil, less pressure...

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Have been thinking about Japan for better food quality at reasonable prices and affordable housing options.

I'm not disappointed with Hk and given that I got very lucky with property here I may retire here. But ideally will split time between two places.
    The fact that Japan offers affordable housing options vs Hong Kong is pretty damn telling.
    shri, hullexile, Tadashi and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Geoff finally moved then.

Well done.

Always enjoyed reading your posts here. Good luck with it all.
    I think it was a while back! And I love that he will miss school buses. Just not Gold Coast buses LOL.
    Dankleness likes this.

For me - no plans to leave HK in the near future, but in the medium term I think the creeping influence of the mainland will force us out. No idea where we will go though.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast