Like Tree62Likes

Does living in Hong Kong makes you softer, weaker and less healthy?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bargfeldstegen:
    I assume just getting older makes you more sick and worry more. The carefree days are long gone. Aya Caramba !
    That seems like a warning sign man. Bad lifestyle and stress will add up over the decades.
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cendrillon:
    It's funny, I had the complete opposite experience wrt walking. In the US we would end up driving pretty much everywhere. Here I'm constantly walking, dropping the kids to school, walking around at night if we go out for dinner, walking to the supermarket etc. or just walking to get around town.
    Agree 10K steps per day in HK is easy. In the US much harder.
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Agree 10K steps per day in HK is easy. In the US much harder.
    Yes, but I don't think it helps you feel as fit when you're walking slower than you'd like to, fighting your way through crowds or stuck behind phone zombies. Maybe that's just me.
    East_coast and tf19 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MerMer:
    Yes, but I don't think it helps you feel as fit when you're walking slower than you'd like to, fighting your way through crowds or stuck behind phone zombies. Maybe that's just me.
    Yeah there's something to be said for living outside the most crowded parts of Hong Kong that's for sure.
    MerMer and HK_Katherine like this.

Well I guess the answer to the original question is it depends where you have come from.

I usually hit 10k steps by noon.

I think there is less physical activity in general here unless you make the effort. There is no wood to chop, garden to dig, trips to the dump or any other manual labour. Most people don't even have to clean their own home here which is tough work too.

If you don't make an effort to exercise, you will go soft and pudgy. The good restaurants will hasten the process.

folks, allow me to preach

Kowloon Goon likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Hong Kong GP? You must be joking. Most dishonest unprofessional bunch in the world. A bit better than Delhi, but not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Hong Kong GP? You must be joking. Most dishonest unprofessional bunch in the world. A bit better than Delhi, but not much.
    yes, the most dishonest... smh

I am vegetarian - strict but eat cheese and yogurt ( in small amounts), rarely processed food unless it is jam or chutney. I found HKG to be dire when sourcing good quality, cheap and uncontaminated vegetarian food. Vegetarian to Chinese means vegetables with dried fish - the latter I am allergic to. As for exercise, I miss the hiking and trail running. From people I have hiked and run with, the fastest and healthiest when it comes to endurance are those who follow a vegan / vegetarian diet. For those who scratch their heads over what a vegan can eat, there is a hell of a lot of food. One only needs to look, google online for recipes. Mostly grains, pulses, and veg that provide more nutrients than meat alone. In the UAE, I went to a gym given the climate - exception was cycling and aquaaerobics, but in HKG, you have the hot humid climate but so much safe space to run and walk outside. If you want weights, take a couple of full water bottles. or load up your back pack. What made me hard was the attitude of locals. Always trying to rip off a western gweilo. Also this so called keeping face when you know that thy are lying or not telling you what you need to hear. This hardened me up big time. Pollution - made me cough, but not weakened. The stress of too many people, like a human tsunami that cares not for the people that it bulldozes daily is weakening. This, I can see as a local major catalyst for mental illness and crimes caused by those motivates by a dehumanising of such.