• 1 Post By orel100x
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 2 Post By angeluscomplex
  • 3 Post By chingleutsch
  • 4 Post By Finefox

HKG Reading

Closed Thread

HKG Reading

Pruning the bookshelves and came across the Hong Kong section . . . the sleazy, real-crime book about the Milkshake Murder has long since been discarded. The Clavell novels about HKG are on the Kindle.

Name:  IMG_20171120_111827279.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  3.68 MB

Not exactly HK or high brow or of any consequence... but this one is close to home and a good read.

The hero is a lawyer of sorts who gets called in to investigate money laundering by North Koreans in Macau. Along the way, he manages to take Pansy Ho for dinner @ Bricklane.

I do like Jake Needham's Asian thrillers...

https://www.amazon.com/MACAU-Shepher.../dp/B00HWWVPBW

huja likes this.

Well, there is Michael Connelly's "Nine Dragons" - a Harry Bosch novel, where 90% of the action takes place in Hong Kong. Lots of recognisable touristy places. Plenty of small factual errors, however

huja likes this.

Yes, read that one too! Good time waste as long as you don't nitpick the details.

huja likes this.

IIRC, The second Jason Bourne novel was mostly set in Hong Kong.

Gweilo is a very good memoir.

huja and z754103 like this.

Another good memoir is Austin Coates' "Myself a Mandarin". As Shri already brought up Macau, I'll add Coates' historical novel "City of Broken Promises".
    My collection from last century also includes a lot of Lily Wong, a compilation from Nury Vittachi's Lai See columns, and Helga Lanzendorfer's books of pen and ink sketches.

The Religious Stuff shelf has Jackie Pullinger's "Chasing the Dragon" and "Crack in the Wall", and Christiane Mueller's "Rauhes Grasland, Bewaesserte Gaerten" (Parched Seppes, Watered Gardens).

shri, huja and z754103 like this.

The Amitav Ghosh Ibis trilogy is utterly brilliant, about the lead up to the founding of HK. John Lanchester's Family Romance is a moving family history, follow that up with his novel Frangrant Harbour, funny, intelligent, and stays with you for a long time.

shri, chingleutsch, BCD and 1 others like this.

@Finefox - thanks for those recommendations. Have added them to my list ...