Like Tree6Likes

How do I make roti.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do I make roti.

At muh wits end because it's literally just flour and water and I can't get it right.

Ever since my discount friendship circle died abroad, I haven't had any Pakistani or Indian friends to invite me over for dinner. Which was two years ago. But ah remember dat roti taste and I kno I'm not getting it rite.

:s

My first two attempts used 2/1 ratio of flour to water. Kneaded until GLUTEN. But my dough was like "no". And so I was like "lmao this isnt working, i'll add more water". And then I kneaded until GLUTEN. (like lmao I kneaded it like pizza dough). And then I was just like "i'll add oil"', in the literal sense rather than the Cantonese sense.

But gah, four attempts and roti still isn't puffing up at aaaall, and it just turns out way stiffer than roti should be :/.

Halp, what do. Any tips? What am I doin' wrong D:

I humbly suggest you consider frozen chapatis.

(PnS has some decent Malaysian / Singaporean rotis...)

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    That is quite a bit easier.

If you really want to go the DIY way, you need to make layered dough. Simple pizza dough is something different.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:

(PnS has some decent Malaysian / Singaporean rotis...)
    are they any good? In my head, frozen wheat-product-anything just tastes/smells/textures (textures????) Bad. I've seen them around but been hesitant to buy. D:

Maybe you need to use the special Indian flour, atta. Probably for sale at Indian shops in Chung King mansion. Don't give in to failure. Do more research on correct technique and ingredients.

I wish i could easily make 'lanzhou la mian' but thus far poor results, so i share your frustrations.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    That is quite a bit easier.

If you really want to go the DIY way, you need to make layered dough. Simple pizza dough is something different.
    =00 Layered dough? O_O How many layers ?

I honestly do not like the frozen chapatis you get from places like star mart etc. End up being too rubbery / industrial tasting.

No problems with the Malaysian rotis from PnS.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    Maybe you need to use the special Indian flour, atta. Probably for sale at Indian shops in Chung King mansion. Don't give in to failure. Do more research on correct technique and ingredients.

I wish i could easily make 'lanzhou la mian' but thus far poor results, so i share your frustrations.
    =0 tbh I didn't realize you could make those at home! I mean lmao, defo my kitchen is Not Big Enough to even make an attempt.

That's a v good idea, but I'm already using chakki atta ;-; after a bit of googling, it might be because I'm using an induction stove-top- all the net recipes seem to call for FIRE and BRIMSTONE. Ahh, I'll have to experiment some more!

Quote Originally Posted by Ark:
    it might be because I'm using an induction stove-top- all the net recipes seem to call for FIRE and BRIMSTONE. Ahh, I'll have to experiment some more!
    Induction is perfectly fine.

Make as many layers as you can manage. Layers means you flatten the dough, oil it, fold it, flatten it, oil it..... and so on and so an.

I bought some 'Bing' in China, they are quite nice too.

For La Mian you need very high gluten flour - plus the "gluten enhancer" that they use in China to make the dough even more stretchable.

IMHO, use an Italian noodle maker and avoid the chemicals.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=44933947233

I think roti can mean any bread so you may need to be specific when you look for a recipe. Chapattis are easy- plain/wholemeal flour, some oil and water.

I use a recipe similar to this, pretty quick and straight forward- make and then throw into a tea towel to keep warm.

Wholemeal chapattis recipe - All recipes UK

Lots of other tasty options here: https://food.ndtv.com/lists/10-best-...ecipes-1469515

shri likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast