Like Tree14Likes

Avoid Samsung Refrigerators

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Avoid Samsung Refrigerators

I guess I must be the last person to know this (as it seems all my friends already know to avoid this brand). Anyway, had a Samsung RL52TE for a little over 3 years (just past the warranty period) and it has stopped working. The freezer area still works, but the fridge area does not cool anymore.

I opened the bottom drawer of my freezer to find a huge block of ice covering the entire floor of the freezer (see attached for photos).

I searched online and it seems many Samsung refrigerators share this problem:

Samsung Fridges Slammed On BBC's Watchdog...

"Consultant engineer Malcolm Robbins who was featured on the show said that, "This fridge has a fundamental design fault because water which drains from the evaporator coil during defrost cannot escape. Ice forms on the coil, grows back to the fan, hits the fan blades and stops the fan running. After that the fridge won't work." Mr Robbins went on to say that he didn't think it was right that customers should have to pay for repairs and that the fridge was not 'fit for purpose'."

Called the Samsung Hotline, they would only send someone if you agree to pay them. I explained that this was clearly a design flaw with class action lawsuits happening in the US over this issue, and articles/videos detailing the problem, but of course they aren't flexible. Time to complain to the consumer protection board. In the meantime we'll be replacing this piece of crap with a Hitachi brand fridge.

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2018-01-23 at 6.15.24 PM.jpeg
Views: 2489
Size:  207.8 KB
    Name:  WhatsApp Image 2018-01-23 at 5.39.29 PM.jpeg
Views: 2455
Size:  104.2 KB
    Name:  WhatsApp Image 2018-01-23 at 4.48.30 PM.jpeg
Views: 2468
Size:  102.3 KB

shri likes this.

Count yourself lucky.... on Beko fridge freezers water condenses on the rear of the appliance and runs down into the defrost heater timer, filling the casing until it is high enough to cause a short between the terminals and the appliance catches fire!!

greenmark likes this.

one of the problem why korean goods/cars are still not selling well in singapore, even though they are appearing sexier and more value for money..

issues like these, design flaws that can only be found after 3/5/8 years on products that we are used to being able to work for 10s of years by the japanese makers..

z754103 and Mrs. Jones like this.

i bought an LG washing machine that lasted just over 2 years. It was to expensive to repair. Next one was a Whirlpool.

I've been using my Samsung fridge for over 8 years, not a single issue till date! Couldn't be happier with it.

My Samsung fridge in nearly 10 years, only had to have it fixed once due to a component failure but they came and fixed it and yes it was just after warranty expired FFS but it was still cheaper than buying a new fridge and since then never had a problem with it, its still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    i bought an LG washing machine that lasted just over 2 years. It was to expensive to repair. Next one was a Whirlpool.
    Lol, i had the opposite problem. I started with a Whirlpool and it didnt work properly after 2 or 3 years. They couldn't fix the whole problem because of a lack of parts, so i changed to an LG machine which as worked great since.

Maybe some models have flaws, but the one I owned early 2000-ths worked like a charm. Also was very light (i.e. weighed little) compared to the previous one.

Any product can have flaws in general. Remember the recent issue with Whirlpool dryers setting buildings on fire?

jimbo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by orel100x:
    Maybe some models have flaws, but the one I owned early 2000-ths worked like a charm. Also was very light (i.e. weighed little) compared to the previous one.

Any product can have flaws in general. Remember the recent issue with Whirlpool dryers setting buildings on fire?
    ALL dryers will catch fire if YOU dont clean the lint filters, it causes the element to over temp as the blocked filter wont allow air to expell from the cabinet, the lint also provides a very combustible fuel source, a very common cause of domestic house fires. To delineate it in simple terms, by not cleaning the filters, its basically the same as throwing a large towel or drape over a 2000 watt electric fan heater, blocking the fresh air entry ie smothering it, which will catch fire in no time.

Another common cause for house fires are plug in power packs you charge devices, laptops etc with, which should be switched off after use and not left running all the time, especially these days as things tend to be built a lot cheaper.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 26-01-2018 at 11:19 AM.
    orel100x, shri and Mrs. Jones like this.

Quick fix?

Why don't you unplug the fridge, let it thaw completely and then restart it. If the icing up inside is causing the problem then removing the ice will solve it. You should be good for about another 3 years!

TheBrit and SpeakCantonese like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast