Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By flameproof
  • 1 Post By East_coast
  • 3 Post By CarterTG
  • 1 Post By East_coast

Where can I get some PVC plastic cut?

Closed Thread

Where can I get some PVC plastic cut?

Hello, I ordered a sheet of PVC plastic from taobao but I actually need it a bit smaller. Is there any shop on Kowloon side where I can go to get it cut in half?

Thanks

I know 2 shops in Mongkok/Prince Edwards that sell sheets - and can cut them too. Signmakers can cut it too. Or I guess woodshops can, not sure a wood blade can cut PVC though (if I had to guess I would say it can)

Cminds likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cminds:
    Hello, I ordered a sheet of PVC plastic from taobao but I actually need it a bit smaller. Is there any shop on Kowloon side where I can go to get it cut in half?

Thanks
    PVC Plastic - Can you post a picture of what you are trying to do?

Why PVC and not PMMA etc
    Cminds likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    PVC Plastic - Can you post a picture of what you are trying to do?

Why PVC and not PMMA etc
    I honestly don't know the difference between pvc and pmma plastic. I ordered a pvc plastic sheet for a hockey mat so my ice hockey stick were won't scratch the concrete when I'm doing some outdoor practice.

I ordered a large but I actually don't need it to be so big so I want to cut it in half.

Quote Originally Posted by Cminds:
    I ordered a large but I actually don't need it to be so big so I want to cut it in half.
    A few dollars and a few minutes

huja likes this.

Since PVC tends to be softer than Acrylic/Plexiglas/Perspex, the scribe-break method ought to work for a relatively cleaner cut. You'll need East_coast's utility knife and a hard straight edge to run the blade against. Locking down the straight edge will permit consistently making the score/scribe in the exact spot to deepen the cut and achieve a successful break:

Might want to initially test this method on a smaller, unwanted half of that board.

huja, Cminds and East_coast like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    A few dollars and a few minutes

The world was dark and scary before the advent of the utility knife.