Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree42Likes

Domestic Helper help!

Mat

or when non lawyers try to debate with a lawyer

jgl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier
    how much different from a 3month probation period where you can be terminated if you did not perform to satisfaction.
    give her a 2y contract with a 3 hour probation period where you can terminate it if found not suitable ? haha
    You can do this -- something about a continuous contract does not start until a few weeks in and hence the relationship can be easily terminated. HOWEVER, there is about 10k in costs to get the helper onboard, plus the employer would still be responsible to pay for the return flight. So it isn't cheap if you look at it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem
    I think that's splitting hairs, I don't see much difference between asking a programmer to solve a coding problem or a teacher to do a sample lesson than asking a DH to cook a simple meal for example.
    Exactly, most programming jobs require the candidate do some kind of test, which is usually a real world task (unscrupulous companies have been known to use this as a way to get work done for free).

isn't the issue not with the test, but with the fact that the hirer is paying the tester for the 1 hour of time that he/she is trying out the various required task ?

so if you don't pay her, its fine << no issue there.
    if you pay her, then its wrong. so under that case you make it into a 2 hours probation period where the employer can terminate << again it appears doable.

the cost of 10k of bringing the helper in is irrelevant since the helper is already in HK and rani was just trying her skills out.

so which part of this is illegal ?

Quote Originally Posted by freeier
    isn't the issue not with the test, but with the fact that the hirer is paying the tester for the 1 hour of time that he/she is trying out the various required task ?

so if you don't pay her, its fine << no issue there.
    if you pay her, then its wrong. so under that case you make it into a 2 hours probation period where the employer can terminate << again it appears doable.

the cost of 10k of bringing the helper in is irrelevant since the helper is already in HK and rani was just trying her skills out.

so which part of this is illegal ?
    Not illegal just totally impractical. You would have to go through all the hassle of employing a helper, dealingvwith the consulate, immigration just to do a short trial. I take it you have never employed a helper?

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    Job interview is an interview. You are not supposed to do actual work. Have you ever been to an office job interview where you asked to do actual live "work". Sure they give you tests and simulations, but not actual work.

I wouldn't put it past a judge or magistrate to take a view that doing an hour's worth of work, paid or unpaid as part of a job interview would be considered outside of the law.

But then again, what do I know (which is a fair question).

[I should add I have done the same, i.e. asked prospective helpers to do some work for a while to see how they perform.]
    I've been asked to demonstrate my knowledge and skills in a job interview. Maybe it's different in law. Either way, if there is no pay I think any judge would have to be a complete cunt to interpret an trial hours baby sitting or cleaning as a visa abuse.
    Last edited by TheBrit; 23-02-2018 at 11:23 PM.

The only way to get caught is if the helper that came for an interview ratted the employer out but she must be really STUPID to do that as she will get fecked by immigration more than the employer would. the probability of getting into trouble for a job interview (paid or free) is less than 0.0000000000000000000000000000001% I would say

Quote Originally Posted by rani

By now our family's needs had changed. Kid was more independent. So, decided to use the GeoExpat Classifieds GeoExpat classifieds. I interviewed/ and was interviewed for 3 weekends. There are a lot of amazing helpers out there. We finally found our perfect helper. She's been with us for over 5 years now. If you have the time, give the classifieds a go.
    out of curiosity, did you actively look on Geoexpat for helpers or place an ad and let them apply? In my second week of interviewing and seen and learnt alot already!

Quote Originally Posted by twelve98
    out of curiosity, did you actively look on Geoexpat for helpers or place an ad and let them apply? In my second week of interviewing and seen and learnt alot already!
    That's good. You should now have a better idea of your perfect candidate. I would place an ad and include as much information on the skills you are looking for and let the helpers apply. I found helpers who responded to my ad were to shy to place their own ad.
    twelve98 likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4