Like Tree49Likes

Hong Kong woman arrested after video shows employer hitting Indonesian domestic helper

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster:
    Dementia is the claim. Where is the proof. The Indonesian helper has not been provided with a safe working environment. Hong Kongers are the Kings of making accepting lame excuses. Do you not understand that?
    Without any proof yourself you have been able to conclusively diagnose her as not suffering from dementia and therefore is a bitch with disgraceful behaviour. Where did you qualify for your medical qualification?

It should simply be handled by the courts like any other crime. The lawyer can argue diminished capacity and the lady ends up in a facility where she won't do no harm as opposed to jail where she likely doesn't belong. Her estate probably gets fined a suitable amount to compensate the helper. I don't really know why this is viewed as a HK problem apart from the fact that the victim is a DH. Crimes committed by mentally ill people happen everywhere.

East_coast likes this.

Who filmed the video? Seems to be in amazingly good focus if taken by the helper herself.

Original Post Deleted
    You really write some crap sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    Fuck's sake...triggered much?

Having been through the horrific experience of supporting someone with dementia and watch them regress from being a mild mannered gentleman into a potty mouthed sailor I am not 'ignorant'.

Feel free to go and have a look at any of the dementia forums and you will see it is a pretty common experience...

And of course social filters can mask true personas...it's common for people to mask the darker side of their personalities so they can function, and even get ahead, in society.

People are who they are when they think nobody is looking/listening and many people are little more than dirty piles of secrets, after all.
    The problem with what you are saying is that you are making massive assumptions with direct causal links. Yes people hide parts of their personalities in life, yes we wear different masks in different situations and yes sometimes things come to light that were part of one's past or personalities. However brain diseases are far more complicated than the very simplistic view you are providing. What of the loud and violent that become meek and fearful? Is that their "true nature"(also a stupid way to describe people in my opinion). It's an easy leap to make when the patient exhibit certain symptoms but it's useless and often needlessly demeaning. The other factor is that perceptions are altered when suffering from mental disease. If you feel people are continuously lying to you, stealing from you and trying to make you do things you don't want to do and are continuously frustrated, it will certainly alter you behavior in a negative way. Is that your "true nature" or you are pushed to react in different way. Your simplistic approach puts the blame solely on the victim of the disease as if they were always bad but hiding it. Newsflash, everyone has it in them to behave badly if pushed, every single person has instinctive impulses imprinted in their genes that education and maturity control. If you want true nature, look at us at animals, that's what we all are if you strip our brains.
    HK_Katherine and Mat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    Dementia sometimes unmasks a person's true identity...sad, but true.

I remember my ex's Grandad who started swearing like a trooper and being pretty horrible to women and it was obvious that he was regressing to his youth, he hadn't been like that in the many years we'd known him.

Dementia takes the social filters first...what's left is often the true persona..
    oh blimey! As per my interpretation of your comment, , I wouldn't want even a few hong kongers to get demented and bring out their 'true self', given the general perception about the behavior of hong kongers.

Original Post Deleted
    No, if you could see it, presumably you wouldn't write it. You fall in to the small category of people it's impossible to even argue with here on Geo because what you write is so far off the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz Paul:
    oh blimey! As per my interpretation of your comment, , I wouldn't want even a few hong kongers to get demented and bring out their 'true self', given the general perception about the behavior of hong kongers.
    Careful pointing fingers, someone might mention a glass of water.

This thread must've set a record for going off the rails.

How do you know it’s mental illness? So every person that is mean and hateful just suffers from mental illness? Wow.

Are you related to her?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Careful pointing fingers, someone might mention a glass of water.

This thread must've set a record for going off the rails.
    thanks, but no thanks. I'm always game!

IMHO, there is no such thing as a straight and simple answer to a real life situation. As long as no one is offended, which is also open for interpretation, everybody has a right to their opinion.