Like Tree16Likes

Modernized Cage Homes

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    I agree - not mass market, but more suitable for younger professionals than cage homes. (Anyways, my problem is with the "inspiring and empowering" line... not any reality based arguments that you're offering)
    TheBrit likes this.

Missed this one in the SCMP...

Mojo Nomad Aberdeen Harbour in Wong Chuk Hang is one such hotel to have converted to co-living in December, which now consists of 65 rooms and 250 beds.

Brushing aside the suggestion that some hotels were converting their properties because of a decline in mainland group tours, Girish Jhunjhnuwala, founder and CEO of Mojo Nomad and Ovolo Hotels Group, said the move was purely to tap the rising demand of “the new generation of travellers who live and work in different places”.
    More hotels in Hong Kong convert to co-living spaces as they look to improve rental yield | South China Morning Post

[Never mind....]

Hard to get ahead in this world...

The government could just release more square footage of private residential land.

2018 again will see an artificially constrained supply of land. Yes greater than under Sir Donald Tsang but still artificially constrained. When developers release these into the primary market it really should help caring Carrie Lam to hit her flats per year target.

3600 new flats will be added in 2018 to the rolled over (delayed) quantities. There is land it is just not released.

Government announces 2018-19 Land Sale Programme

Original Post Deleted
    That's the thing though... at a mid point in your career, when you're even married, you should still be paying $2,000+ to rent a room in a shared house? I dunno... The thing is, once you do suddenly become unemployed, you will have to be uprooted, pay for movers, drain your savings, and stand to lose a lot. Whereas if you were a homeowner with a mortgage, at least if you were struggling between jobs and draining your savings, it's still ultimately going towards something for you and your long-term benefit. And the thing is, they're not always high paid. These expensive cities still need some of those humanities graduates to do skilled jobs at low salaries...

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    The government could just release more square footage of private residential land.

2018 again will see an artificially constrained supply of land. Yes greater than under Sir Donald Tsang but still artificially constrained. When developers release these into the primary market it really should help caring Carrie Lam to hit her flats per year target.

3600 new flats will be added in 2018 to the rolled over (delayed) quantities. There is land it is just not released.

Government announces 2018-19 Land Sale Programme
    Meanwhile DB is getting an ice rink and, who is it, Jack Ma? a mansion! Along with ample space to play golf, I'd say they got their priorities in order!

As for government officials looking in the mirror -- I think they do, and from their perspective, what with their own ownership of property, government housing benefits, and comfortable, reliable salary for life, along with their private driver and Alphard, everything sure does look rosy! There's a good reason why it is so incredibly difficult and competitive to become an..... immigration official. Surely some of you have met some of these young people applying, who drop whatever they're doing, whatever passions they have, to join if they get accepted and put up with a very rigorous training program...

Surely some of you have met some of these young people applying, who drop whatever they're doing, whatever passions they have, to join if they get accepted and put up with a very rigorous training program...
    Not everyone can live life without compromising on passions - anywhere in the world.

And, passions evolve over time...

Looking at the toilets is certainly sending them back into Mainland China - squat loos!

I think this is quite good for young people coming to the city and try out their luck. $17 per night is very reasonable for clean accommodation.

On top of that, I'm sure there are plenty of youngsters who may see that as a step up from their current living conditions. Comments on Vivienne Chow's Twitter post seem to indicate that.

I think a key component for keeping this viable is maintaining comfort, such as keeping it clean, free from pests, and providing A/C.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Not everyone can live life without compromising on passions - anywhere in the world.

And, passions evolve over time...
    I completely agree. Was just a more minor point. Was very surprised the first time I saw someone do this and it struck me as sad for her, but in the long run with time I've come to understand how good it is.
    shri likes this.