Like Tree72Likes

Is there anything about living in China that's better than living in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Is there anything about living in China that's better than living in Hong Kong?

I had to go to a supermarket yesterday... ...and it occurred to me that I don't hate supermarkets, I hate 'Hong Kong supermarkets'.

I was thinking how much better supermarkets on the Mainland are, obviously I'm talking city supermarkets here...and then I thought about the things I do prefer about the Mainland...obviously generalizing; China is a huge country...so I'm talking Beijing/Zhuhai/Zhongshan/Changsha...all places where I've either lived/worked/have family...and there are many things I do prefer...

I will also state from the off that I would move to the Mainland tomorrow if I was single.

A few things I prefer:

Supermarkets
    Being able to park my car near shops/businesses
    Highway driving (not urban driving)
    Wider roads/footpaths/more space generally
    Electric bikes and bike use generally

We all know what we think is worse...I can't stop you from mentioning those things, but I am really only interested in things that you think are better on the Mainland...

Titus likes this.

More spacious accommodation and much more affordable cost of living. As a teacher you could survive quite comfortably on a university salary in a very undemanding job with perhaps as low as 10 working hours a week.

Shops with no staff

Better restaurants for the average Joe.
    More spice.
    Drier climate.
    Higher mountains.
    Rich in culture and history.
    Hot springs.
    Weed.

SpeakCantonese, Stu79 and Titus like this.

The only thing I can think of is more spacious flats for your money...Driving in China? Shudder.. E bikes? Silent killers...If you paid me a lot of money, maybe for a short time. I could walk around with a nice gas mask...

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Better restaurants for the average Joe.
    More spice.
    Drier climate.
    Higher mountains.
    Rich in culture and history.
    Hot springs.
    Weed.
    It's obviously subjective but I much prefer Mainland food to HK food... and I agree about the restaurants at the lower end... much less of the 20 year garden furniture and identikit menu...

Original Post Deleted
    HK's charm ====> $$$

Driving in China? Shudder.

Have you done any proper highway driving? I found that to be far superior to Hong Kong.

E bikes? Silent killers...

If you paid me a lot of money, maybe for a short time. I could walk around with a nice gas mask...
    If you really worry about pollution, don't live in HK... Zhuhai and Zhongshan are pretty much on par with HK.
    Titus likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Parking in Hong Kong is the most convenient in the world

You just get your driver to wait triple parked. If he gets a ticket he gets a ticket.....
    mrdollars, Mrs. Jones and Titus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:

Have you done any proper highway driving? I found that to be far superior to Hong Kong.

If you really worry about pollution, don't live in HK... Zhuhai and Zhongshan are pretty much on par with HK.
    Zhuhai & Zhongshan surely have lower pollution than HK
    SpeakCantonese likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast