Like Tree31Likes

Incense Smoke from Neighboring Apartment

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

We have the same problem in SG, except our neighbours are not only filthy ( food offerings left to rot in their front yard, incense sticks and CNY sparklers thrown about on the front lawn's of residents' houses, including ours, burning of offerings in their yard which is adjacent to ours....list goes on. ) One of our neighbours is moving to get away from the problem but we are here for another year....so I bought a good pedestal fan, faced it toward the direction of the burning crap and smoke, and turned it on full. I do this every time the old fella burns his incense and lights his bonfire in the metal bin. Forget religion, it is a health hazard as you are inhaling second hand smoke. If you have the time and money to sue, then one could argue that in court. I friend of mine is lives in Sha Tin had the same problem with her neighbour smoking constantly in the tiny bathroom which faced onto hers.

When you think you found that perfect place and saved a couple thousand per month. Really being a dick to come here and expect the local culture to change for you.

angeluscomplex likes this.

It's the same as with smoking, as long as they are doing it in their own home you can't do anything. (Well, you could check your building's DNC to see whether it prohibits the burning of incense. Ours does, but I don't think that is common)

I adore incense.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    It's the same as with smoking, as long as they are doing it in their own home you can't do anything. (Well, you could check your building's DNC to see whether it prohibits the burning of incense. Ours does, but I don't think that is common)
    The building management in my MIL govt building has a notice and pictures of NOT ALLOWING burning of paper money etc but every house has a metal can outside their doors LOL no one give a F@#K!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    When you think you found that perfect place and saved a couple thousand per month. Really being a dick to come here and expect the local culture to change for you.
    What if you're a local coming back to take care of your elderly, and have no choice? Asthma is a real problem, wake up not even get to the lift already have runny nose, how is that fair?
    TheBrit, Kowloon Goon and shri like this.

Also know people intentionally light up incense for not religious reason, just to cover up smells (eg, they want to smoke at home but dont want to get caught, or smelly pets). You want to say no one does this? If you don't challenge peoples perspectives, how is the world to change for the better? Doing the same thing everyday, expecting a different result is the means of insanity

I don't see any issues with burning incense, candles, smoking at home etc. But its worrying when neighbours have a can with a huge open fire burning the paper offerings.

Just seems big fire hazard especially in an enclosed space. Luckily there were notices put up a few years ago and nobody does this any more in my building.

you can file a claim at the small claims tribunal (or district court depending on the amount claimed) for the tort of nuisance.
    Before doing that you should try to solve amicably by sending a written notice to your neighbour about the nuisance you are suffering from, and tell him what you want him to do (eg stop burning incence indoor). Use registered mail and keep the receipt. this is evidence you tried to solve the issue before resorting to courts.
    You can ask the court for damages or for an injunction (forbidding your neighboor to do something).

Can't understand how people can be so selfish. I do understand the good luck part, but they can do it outside the building and induce good luck to the whole block.

aslan likes this.