Like Tree52Likes

Would you like to have been born as a Hong Konger?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

For those who link the birth place to the passport - that I am not sure.SGP rank 1st and there is no way I would like to have been born Singaporean :-)https://www.passportindex.org/byRank.php

twelve98 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sinespe:
    I'm frankly more curious at what you are looking for. You started the question by asking if expats would rather be born local instead of expats, then act surprised when many said no. So it feels like you were expecting the opposite answer.

Maybe you can tell us why you think being a Hong Konger is a hot commodity?
    IMHO, there is no significant benefit to being born a HKer. Firstly, if you look at the www.passportindex.org, HK ranks only #18. Not a bad score but you're far better off having a Singaporean, South Korean, EU passport, etc. Secondly, unlike the Macau or Saudi government, the HK government doesn't hand out cash to HKers (or at least not when you're above a certain income level?). Occupy Central went on for a long time due to economic and political grievances (but I bet it's more economic than political). The Arab Spring never took hold in Saudi Arabia as the govt simply "bribed off" potential dissidents. With the HK passport being less powerful than most western countries' passports (I assume most of you here are western expats) and its welfare being inferior to other countries (Macau, Scandinavian countries and Saudi Arabia), why is it a privilege to be born a HKer again?
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    For those who link the birth place to the passport - that I am not sure.SGP rank 1st and there is no way I would like to have been born Singaporean :-)https://www.passportindex.org/byRank.php
    Haha I was just referencing this website while writing my reply. Funny to see our minds both went here.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    No I wouldn't (unless perhaps the son of a tycoon)..
    Yup, I wouldnt mind being born with a silver spoon up my arse LOL

i could have been running PCCW and screwing the whole of HK
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Yup, I wouldnt mind being born with a silver spoon up my arse LOL

i could have been running PCCW and screwing the whole of HK
    Or get kidnapped like the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by sinespe:
    Or get kidnapped like the other one.
    Price to pay being RICH, at least he's still alive and not cut up into pieces

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Yup, I wouldnt mind being born with a silver spoon up my arse LOL i could have been running PCCW and screwing the whole of HK
    Or just screwing the whole of HK.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tf19:
    I'm US raised but wife grew up in HK. We both are adamant that under no circumstance will we raise our child in HK. Of all of the first world cities I've lived in and visited, it seems like a singular awful place to have your childhood whether it be the cramped living conditions, crazy test focused education or the fact that by playing 'outside' usually means playing on some concrete slab likely spent looking at your phone.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Of all the places where I've taught, Hong Kong is the only place where students are NOT happy on a Friday or just before the holidays, since it means piles of homework. They don't have much of a childhood or connection to nature.
    I'm very glad I didn't grow up here, and there is absolutely no way I would raise kids here.

Nope, especially seeing where the country is heading. Education system doesn't cater for creativity and independent thinking. Very little space to play outside compared to Europe.

I'm also glad I have European passport.

Other than that I would have enjoyed living in a safe environment like in HK.

My 4-year old went mountain biking the other day. 12 km in total.
    The week before he did a 4km hike from Wong Nai Chung reservoir to Tai Tam Tuk reservoir and ending up swimming on Stanley beach.
    The week before that he learned ice skating and did a 10km bike ride from HKSP to Tai Po and back.
    The week before that we went camping on Wan Tsai West campsite.

Hong Kong isn't lacking outdoor activities for children. Parents are just too busy complaining on Geoexpat instead.