Like Tree52Likes

Would you like to have been born as a Hong Konger?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    No. An Australian born tiger mum of East German descent was bad enough.
    Did you get to read this?

Name:  50290.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  270.0 KB

I was actually born a Hongkonger but abroad.

And I have always wondered what if I had been born in HK.

After having lived here I am quite happy and content how things unfolded.

But this again is a feeling coined by your place of birth and upbringing.....
    times and circumstances

Quote Originally Posted by sinespe:
    So is that a yes or no?
    It's neither... where you are born is less relevant than who raises you and how.

No. I don't see the draw. Its nothing special IMO. I think this is validated by immigration flows and desired immigration flows would be to the US and Canada etc. and not the other way around. OF course if your starting point is a place like Vietnam or Burma then I could see the draw to get out of the third world into a first world environment.

geoheyexpat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz Paul:
    had a nice soyi chu yiu (fish in spicy broth) a spicy northern Chinese dish for lunch yesterday. Which was followed by building sand castles with my 3 year old son on the golf coast beach. Later, spent a couple of hours in yuen long park enjoying couple of beers while watching over my son scoot around. Rounded off the day nicely with a decent dinner. Wife and son happy, I'm happy

Yes, I would have loved to be born in hk, preferably as a Caucasian. In fact I wouldn't mind being white anywhere in the developed world.
    Why as a Caucasian and not Chinese? I don't like bringing up the matter of race, but as you have mentioned it...

Quote Originally Posted by kungpaochicken:
    Why as a Caucasian and not Chinese? I don't like bringing up the matter of race, but as you have mentioned it...
    Through personal experiences, I've learnt that caucasians enjoy the highest degree of tolerance, acceptance and I dare say privileges on this planet making it a hell lot easier for this race in terms of movability and adaptability to a new place, be it HK or Kenya. I am completely fine with it but it would be nice just to turn up rather having to prove your existence on a regular basis. Anyways, reiterating this myriad times is getting tedious and I wouldnt want to dwell any further on this.

peeps, take it easy as there is no offense intended even in the remotest possible ways.

There are never any guarantees and everyone has to make their own way but there's no doubt that in most countries, your start the rat race with a step ahead if you're caucasian regardless of the minor affirmative action programs that are out there.

The discussion is closed. Bow to the FRENCH

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...tionality.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz Paul:
    Through personal experiences, I've learnt that caucasians enjoy the highest degree of tolerance, acceptance and I dare say privileges on this planet making it a hell lot easier for this race in terms of movability and adaptability to a new place, be it HK or Kenya. I am completely fine with it but it would be nice just to turn up rather having to prove your existence on a regular basis. Anyways, reiterating this myriad times is getting tedious and I wouldnt want to dwell any further on this.

peeps, take it easy as there is no offense intended even in the remotest possible ways.
    Well, I thought "white privilege" is a myth and there is no proof that it exists.

Original Post Deleted
    I guess life is like a game of cards and we are just trying our best to play the cards we're dealt. Do you all sometimes wonder what would you have become, if you were born a Hong Konger? Would life be the same or very different?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast