Like Tree206Likes

White guys gone nut on MTR, no one stood up against them

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    There are different issues here. Was she correct that the behaviour was unacceptable? Yes. Was she right to challenge them? Yes. Was she right to make it a race issue? No. Imagine if it was a group of Chinese lads behaving badly on the London tube and a white person started going on about Chinese racist behaviour? Would you agree with them?
    Absolutely not. No to racism. Period!

Chinese are known to be the worst tourists so go figure

Well you were doing a great job in analyzing OP's behavior, motives and what not.
    Feel free to share and perform an analysis on you and your sidekicks.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    It's interpreted as racism because of the priviliges whites have enjoyed in Hong Kong to this day even though I think it's diminishing. I can easily see how someone not familiar with drinking culture may interpret the behaviour exhibited on the MTR as just another privilege enjoyed by the few.
    Don't you mean non-locals who are likely to earn good money get treated differently to people seen as being poor? I am not sure it is a white thing. Most 'expats' tend to be higher earners and not all are white.

Quote Originally Posted by rs4:
    That is nonsense. Many Chinese like many other national groups fit in with social norms when the travel. It is just that China has a lot of people travelling for the first time which compounds the issue. Surely there are sections in every country that are not good ambassadors for their countries.

The Hong Kong government unfortunately has a strategy of targeting the low end tourist market. This volume over quality issue is probably the main irksome point for locals.

Well you were doing a great job in analyzing OP's behavior, motives and what not.
    My sidekicks? What are you talking about? I have never as far as I know been obnoxious on the MTR apart from glaring at ignorant shits who didn't give up their seat for my pregnant wife

That is so funny...the guy says no to racism immediately followed by a racist statement. Many of you clearly need to read the definition of racism. Here's one: the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

So if you say that blacks run faster than whites, it's a racist statement. If you say that chinese are worse tourist than other races, it's also a racist statement. As soon as you claim that a all members of a race have certain attributes, it has a high probability of being a racist statement. It doesn't mean you are burning people on a cross but you tend to have a certain prejudice or bias when it comes to a race or group. Most people tend to do that at some point. Clearly the OP was off in mentioning race and was the one engaging in racist behavior. It doesn't excuse the poor behavior of the individuals and it's easy to understand that it could be frustrating to many locals when they see caucasians act as if they own the place but that's a different issue.

Hope those guys are not in their 40s. Middle aged men trying to act like 20-year-olds is unforgivably cringe-worthy.

They were obviously seeking attention, so sometimes ignoring them may make the behavior go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    As soon as you claim that a all members of a race have certain attributes, it has a high probability of being a racist statement.
    Nobody does that. Most normal people understand that there are averages across groups and that these are generalisations...

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    Nobody does that. Most normal people understand that there are averages across groups and that these are generalisations...
    Lots of people do that, frequently. I find myself doing it.
    SpeakCantonese likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    When you make generalisations about race, it is racism. Too bad, you can't understand that but that's to be expected.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast