Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By HK_Katherine

Census: participation mandatory?

Closed Thread

Census: participation mandatory?

Got the letter saying my household has been selected and then a handwritten slip saying the officer tried to visit the other day when I was at work.

Is participation mandatory or can I just ignore this? Or do I make the officer come visit me in the office to answer whatever questions they have?

No clue what document you've received but there seem to be two types of surveys.

From the Census dept FAQ:

Is it mandatory to participate in the surveys of the Census and Statistics Department(C&SD)?

C&SD conducts a number of mandatory and voluntary surveys, each designed for specific purposes, every year. For mandatory surveys, there is a legal obligation for the selected respondents to respond. However, whether or not the survey in which you are selected to participate is mandatory, we very much hope that you would fulfill your civic responsibility to complete and return the completed questionnaire. The information you provide is very useful to both the Government and the private sector in formulating policies and making decisions.

Do it, it's a helpful contribution to society.

I think technically it is mandatory, at least the company surveys are. Nobody does them anyway and you'll never hear back if you just ignore them.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    I think technically it is mandatory, at least the company surveys are. Nobody does them anyway and you'll never hear back if you just ignore them.
    The surveyors are very persistent.

I've gotten phone calls from the labour department and other departments and been asked to take the survey over the phone. Census will need a visit and I don't think the go to the office - asking a bit much.
    mrgoodkat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    I disagree, They keep hassling us if we don't respond.
    shri likes this.

Aren't you supposed to make an appointment with the census taker?