Like Tree44Likes

Roaches infestation in new home- what to do?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Roaches infestation in new home- what to do?

Hi, was wondering what we could do with the following situation, does anyone have experience of this-

We have just moved into a new flat 4 weeks ago. A week prior to getting keys to the new flat, my housemate saw there were some baby roaches, but we took it as commonplace as any (temp) unoccupied flats. They should be gone once we have done deep cleaning before moving in.

However after staying here for a few days, we still see many baby roaches. We complained to the agent and called the pest control company. They put baits all around the house and asked us to follow several steps to reduce the infestation.

By now, we are around week 4, i am still picking up close to 30-40 DEAD baby roaches bodies on a DAILY basis. I have left some behind because it is tiring to just wipe them every few hours. I believe the baits are working. However, how long do we need to bear with this? Would this go on for another full month or 3 months till the nest completely wipes out? I am assuming the agency/ landlord is open for conversation with us, should we seek compensation over fees of the pest control company and cleaning product, we are trying to meet them next week. I am not sure what is the right compensation or law there is regarding this kind of rental situation as well. Our time spent on this is also another cost that is difficult to quantify to the agency and landlord to be claimed.

I am also thinking should we opt to move out within a month, would the roaches be all dead and all our efforts would have benefited the next tenant and landlord? You guys should know looking for rental housing in HK is a complete nightmare.

Any advice or past experience is welcomed! Thank you for looking.

You need this. Extremely effective. https://www.amazon.com/advion-Plunge.../dp/B00730QW70

+1 for the bug bombs. You have got some in the walls or somewhere and the bombs get into the spaces you cannot. I have the same situation in a shower we do not use - basically the baby cockroaches come up the drain (I think), get into the shower, cannot get out and die of starvation/dehydration. I sweep them up ever so often! Sadly in HK you have to bomb the buggers every couple of months....don't keep any kind of food or water out.

Quote Originally Posted by mangohkd:
    You need this. Extremely effective. https://www.amazon.com/advion-Plunge.../dp/B00730QW70
    i concur with this one. Applied it twice early 2017 and haven’t seen a cockroach since.

Quote Originally Posted by mangohkd:
    OP, this is best one. Last year I tried numerous sprays before finally settling for this one. I am already looking to order it again from Amazon.
    scan2gold likes this.

After you nuke them, consider putting Borax around the perimeters where you think they are entering your adobe. Borax will dry them out and they self decompose. Moreover, they will carry the Borax back to their nests. Also standing water is a draw for roaches. That is why even with a clean bathroom you will might find roaches if there are any leaks or even in the toilet. Most people think food is the only draw for roaches but they also seek water to drink.

gigglinggal and toni_celin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardstorm:
    i concur with this one. Applied it twice early 2017 and haven’t seen a cockroach since.
    Reading around, this is apparently what professional exterminators use. Have ordered some tubes....

They are usually not everywhere, they have a nest somewhere. Find that.

I had one some years back in an old rice cooker. Discharged that and the problem was gone.

consider putting Borax
    A natural way would be chili powder. Go for the fine grind ultra hot Thai type. All insects don't like chili powder.

Most people think food is the only draw for roaches
    They love skin flakes/dandruff. You lose a few 1000 every hour. Hard to control. More cleaning can't harm.
    gigglinggal likes this.

This is super effective. After application, most times, roaches would either be dead or about to. Last year, I found about Advion from this forum itself

Those are German cockroaches, horrible to get rid of. Check your appliances - especially fridges, microwaves etc. Get up in the middle of the night, you’ll likely see them all over your kitchen. Had them in our flat the first time we lived in HK, fortunately only had the occasional bigger species in this place, much easier to deal with. They are probably well established in your building, so you will have to be continually vigilant with poison baits.

z754103 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast