Like Tree69Likes

Helper dilemma - what would you do?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

how do you all know helper D is better than helper A?

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    how do you all know helper D is better than helper A?
    This is the biggest x factor.

What we know about Helper D is she was sole helper for two young children and did 3 contracts with her previous employer.

When we hired Helper A we had totally different needs so her experience and abilities are no longer a match for our family.

- hire Helper D - new helper and also hire Helper E to help with workload of both working parents with two young children ?
    Considering this down the line if necessary but I doubt anyone could be worse than Helper A has been with colleagues.

- hire Helper D - new helper and also hire Helper E to help with workload of both working parents with two young children ?
    I had assumed the above was not intended to be taken seriously.

IMO you already know what to do. Your problem is not helper A at this point but not having the confidence to fire her. So the problem is you. It's unfortunate but insubordination, overall demeanor and mismatch of her skill set to your needs are all sufficient enough for you to take action. If you were giving someone else advice on this matter you would come to the same conclusion.

shri, Viktri and Fiona in HKG like this.

Original Post Deleted
    You certainly wouldn't find anyone on geoexpat that fitted that bill.
    Mat likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    When you terminate someone, do it with dignity. Also, when you terminate someone (based on performance), it it comes as a surprise then you didn't do your job well as a manager IMO. Above all, please do it in a dignified way IMO.
    gigglinggal likes this.

+1 vote for helper D and payoff Helper A.

Quote Originally Posted by SYPFamily:
    Great - I'm the wife and I want to sack Helper A and hire Helper D
    So it's a done deal.

My besties and I have in the past, hired "Helper A" type Domestic Helpers. It came to grief in so many ways. Not recommended to keep an argumentative DH with time management issues. Attitude is everything. Filipinas tend to be difficult once they start comparing their duties, pay scale etc with their peers. The Indonesians / Thais are more docile and tend NOT to be drama queens. Several years ago, my Helper's father passed away twice. She wanted time off twice that particular year. Her father's name was possibly "Lazarus". Out of the several DH I have hired so far, one was good and the others, the less said the better. The one good one worked for me for 1 year, found herself an Expat husband (almost every Filipino Helper's dream) and moved to Hawaii.

I was speaking from PERSONAL experience. You might be one of the luckier ones. Who knows? I am entitled to my own observations and opinion. If you don't like it that's your problem. To ignore the fact that many singletons AND Expat families here have had problems with Domestic Helpers is akin to being an Ostrich with your head in the sand.

mlew likes this.