Like Tree69Likes

Helper dilemma - what would you do?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by sinespe:
    I think Japan works under a very different model when it comes to helpers :

Japan shuns Hong Kong model as it prepares to get its first foreign maids | South China Morning Post

They are employed by the agency, must find their own place to live, paid equivalent wages to their Japanese counterparts, 200 hours of training, and can only stay up to three years. I imagine it's mainly the fairly well-to-do that can afford to hire them.
    Oh you mean they treat them a bit more like human beings instead of indentured servants? I wonder why they might be more satisfied with the service. Here's a shocker...better pay and working conditions tend to attract better workers. You don't see too many hardworking university graduates working at McD, I wouldn't expect the world from a DH.

I find it funny that someone says you definitely need two helpers with two kids. In the western world, most families don't have ANY full time help and sometimes none at all with the two parents working and kids and they can still manage. I grew up in a family of five kids and there were no helpers. What a world we live in when people can't look after themselves anymore...
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Put it this way - he has no clue but always feel the need to pontificate on this subject. Anyway...There are good and bad everywhere and as much as I agree with the fact that a good relationship is important and the way you treat them is important, there remain a huge cultural gap somehow and as you said many comes from very poor/complicated background which makes things sometime a lot more complicated than Sir The Brit Know It All would like to think.
    It goes without saying, but you said it, that there are good and bad. The issue was the statement that "Filipinos tend to be difficult".

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    I find it funny that someone says you definitely need two helpers with two kids. In the western world, most families don't have ANY full time help and sometimes none at all with the two parents working and kids and they can still manage. I grew up in a family of five kids and there were no helpers. What a world we live in when people can't look after themselves anymore...
    Let\s not go there - Canada or France have viable alternative for kids care when both parents work. HK not much aside from the FDH scheme - hence the reliance on it.Let's not blame the people here. if anything it's the Gvt.So lets not go into the HK ppl cant look after themselves kinda shit.
    MABinPengChau and z754103 like this.

Oh you mean they treat them a bit more like human beings instead of indentured servants? I wonder why they might be more satisfied with the service. Here's a shocker...better pay and working conditions tend to attract better workers. You don't see too many hardworking university graduates working at McD, I wouldn't expect the world from a DH.

Ditto. Learn to do without DHs.

Oh come off it. My friends in the US have either live out nannies or send the kids to daycare when they have to work. HK pretty much has neither because the government likes that way. I’ve heard of a few expat ladies who tried and failed to set up something like child minding where they watch a few children in their home. CANNOT LA it’s illegal here.
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Not sure where or whom your anger is directed at. Just stating the fact that the countries have different systems with aim to achieve different things.

Have you ever considered being a bit less judgemental on other people? Or pick up a sports or a hobby to release all the pent up anger?
    Mat and mlew like this.

@SYPFamily - Your question has been answered, right? Shutting this down.

gigglinggal and HK_Katherine like this.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6