Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By MABinPengChau
  • 3 Post By Flat Hunter

Bailiff notice - former helper?

Closed Thread

Bailiff notice - former helper?

My previous helper quit and about 3 weeks later I received a notice from a bank in her name saying she was behind in a pretty big loan. I contacted the bank to say she’d been terminated and I sent a copy of the confirmation from immigration.

Today I received a bailiff notice address to my name from Wanchai Tower. I’ve missed office hours until tomorrow but I’m panicking slightly. Is this likely to be related to the loan? I don’t personally have any outstanding debts nor have I committed any crime! Is this how banks chase helpers who default?

assuming you are not guarantor and have nothing to do with the loan, the baliff is there to chase the maid for the loan and seize her property (given she gave your address as her residence)
    but you dont have to open the doors to them
    and even if you do, there is nothing for them to seize (they can only seize maid's property)

Original Post Deleted
    Hell no! Unless she forged my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by ermen:
    assuming you are not guarantor and have nothing to do with the loan, the baliff is there to chase the maid for the loan and seize her property (given she gave your address as her residence)
    but you dont have to open the doors to them
    and even if you do, there is nothing for them to seize (they can only seize maid's property)
    So do I even need to answer the notice asking me to call them? Not sure if that will help or not. Clearly the fact that the bank knows she doesn’t live here anymore wasn’t enough. I have kids I don’t want heavies banging on my door.

I am guessing the bank got a judgment against the former helper and the bailiff is just enforcing the judgment at the last-known address. I think a simple call will clear it up as others have suggested.

SpeakCantonese, jrkob and spode like this.

Call them... things can go pear shaped very quickly with debt collectors in HK... also, please let us know the outcome... and good luck with it.

Yeah I wouldn't answer the door nor accept that unless it had your name on it. If you presented your ID card and signed for something then you need to deal with the headaches now. Hopefully it can be cleared up.

We got a Bailiffs Notice in the mail for a previous tenant. I went round to the Bailiffs office in Wan Chai and gave them back the letter saying that person didn't live at that address any more. Didn't hear anything else after that.

civil_servant, shri and spode like this.

Sorry OP to hear about this. Apparently it is soo common now that even in Singapore, where I am residing currently, The Straits Times has issued warnings about loans sharks and other articles concerning on how to deal with it and the helper. Unfortunately, the media ( reporter written articles) and advisors operate on only a too softly approach when these helpers are either cunning or simply too naive and compliant. the only option is to speak with the bailiffs and find out exactly the case, and your stance as employer but an outsider who knew nothing about this. The difference between loans sharks and bailiffs is that the latter will listen to you and at least somehow come to an agreement that is rational. I just hope that your former helper has not fraudulently signed your name as guarantor on any loans. In that case, you will need to compare signatures - real and fake. If a loan company has accepted the fake signature, then they could also be up for prosecution.