Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By jimbo
  • 2 Post By big_panda
  • 2 Post By MandM!

How to get out of an apartment contract early?

Closed Thread

How to get out of an apartment contract early?

I'm going to be leaving hk at the end of this month and need to figure out what to do with my year long apartment contract that I'm 6 months into. What are my options of getting out without having to pay the rest of the 6 months? Would I be able to leverage the issues with the apartment if they breach the terms of the contract? Those would be black mold in the bathroom, neighbors who smoke and cook into their vents which blow into my apartment, and an outlet which was burnt due to a poorly wired electrical system (my contract states "The Landlord shall keep and maintain the structural parts of the Premises including the main dreains, pipes, and cables in proper state of repair provided that the Landlord's liability shall not be incurred unless and until written notice of any defect or want of repair has been given by the Tenant to the Landlord and the landlord shall have failed to take reasonable steps to repair and remedy the same after the lapse of a reasonable time from the date of service of such notice". I mentioned the burnt cables to them about 2 months ago and they had some handyman change the box, but I'm quite certain that kind of issue requires intense repair of all the wiring in my building or something). I don't speak canto and my landlord's english is minimal, I'm afraid it will be a big hassle to explain to them I want to leave early because of these problems...

What about getting someone else to use up the rest of my contract for me? How does that work and how can I find someone? My contract states "The Tenant shall not assign, transfer, sublet, or part with possession of the Premises or any part therof to any other person. This tenancy shall be personal to the Tenant named herein".

Also, what can I do about my internet contract which is 2 years long? Is there any way that I could end it now without paying the rest or have someone else pay for it if they take up my apartment contract? And what about the amenities that I bought for this place (fridge, closet, carpet, etc.), would I have to sell them or can I leave them in the apartment/have my landlord buy them from me?

Speak to the landlord and forfeit your two months deposit for leaving early, You signed a contract which you’re meant to honour.

Similar with the internet, Pay it off or try and get someone to take over that’s if you can find some one to take over your rental with landlords permission.

Bit late though if you’re leaving in two weeks

MandM! and Mrs. Jones like this.

If you don't ever plan on coming back then just go. Cancel your credit cards, close your bank account from where the auto pay is drawn and hasta never baby. If you want to maintain a clean credit here then you need to work it out with them on a lump sum payment or whatever the terms are.

Quote Originally Posted by Kperry:
    And what about the amenities that I bought for this place (fridge, closet, carpet, etc.), would I have to sell them or can I leave them in the apartment/have my landlord buy them from me?
    Those are your responsibility to dispose of. If they're high quality stuff, you can ask the landlord if he would want them for free as part of him letting you off the hook. Why are you leaving HK? If you were terminated from your employment, show him the paper of termination, in which case he might be happy to take your 2 months deposit and let you out.
    Mrs. Jones and shri like this.

Negotiate. Usually forfeit deposit and move on or find a new tenant and cover any costs associated with. Your landlord has the final say. Arguing about mold and stuff, either it was there when you saw the flat and you're aware of the issue or you haven't been properly maintaining your flat. Don't go down that route.

stanleyliving and jimbo like this.