Like Tree76Likes

Begging Family, touring HK.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

You are right of course.
    What I meant is that I decided for me, that it’s not something I would report.
    I am not comfortable with people shouting for law and order for things like that. And they have really upset me because of the kids. I decided to give them no money but keep on giving it to the old man at the next exit who built himself a shack at the next exit.

I agree with the sentiment and I share it. The comparison is over the top though.
    The kids appear well fed and happy. They have regular food from the restaurant that they eat away from sight at a place that I can see from my bar.
    The food they get from people they seem to throw away.
    @hull

Quote Originally Posted by Nep:
    I agree with the sentiment and I share it. The comparison is over the top though.
    The kids appear well fed and happy. They have regular food from the restaurant that they eat away from sight at a place that I can see from my bar.
    The food they get from people they seem to throw away.
    @hull
    In a busy city in China I used to see an old lady begging with a toddler. Clearly a prop (just as these kids are). I would sometimes give kids books as I walked past. Over a few years I never did I see the books again. Did I call the cops in China - No

saw cops checking wife's documents at central. it was only her and two kids. guess they just let them go.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    saw cops checking wife's documents at central. it was only her and two kids. guess they just let them go.
    And at the same time, an immigration team showed up at our office, to let us know that someone had complained that our "helpers looking for part time jobs" section was facilitating "criminal acts using a computer".
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    And at the same time, an immigration team showed up at our office, to let us know that someone had complained that our "helpers looking for part time jobs" section was facilitating "criminal acts using a computer".
    Were you let off with a warning?

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Were you let off with a warning?
    You should know, since the team had their requisite mainland looking thug who was obviously in control of the team, but could not speak English.
    kimwy66 and Gatts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    You should know, since the team had their requisite mainland looking thug who was obviously in control of the team, but could not speak English.
    That's standard procedure. Voluntary compliance went up by 90%. We call it a win-win.

Never quite understood why white people panhandling in Asia tend to trigger some of the expat populations in particular, do the same people react in the same way if it's Asian beggars, be they fake monks or beggars from mainland?

Granted the presence of children adds a possible child abuse angle, just report them to the police or maybe social workers. Even if the police won't do anything about it, nag them a few time and get them to do their job. Police can at least act with authorities that private citizen cannot.

Incidentally, apparently there's is a citizen arrest law in Hong Kong, but you have to be able to prove a crime is committed. Otherwise you probably open yourself up to all kinds of countersuit.

SpeakCantonese likes this.

I've seen the family on the bridge from IFC to the Ferry piers in Central.
    The guy was playing music, he had a sign saying "I need diapers", the kids 4 or 5.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast