Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Beanieskis

Temporary guardianship of children

Closed Thread

Temporary guardianship of children

We need to urgently travel and leave the babies in care of a family member.

What do I need to do in advance to arrange this in case something happens while we are away?

I presume a simple letter of guardianship stating who will take care of the children witnessed in front of a lawyer?

Thanks in advance.

Here you can find the form you can fill in.

https://www.lwb.gov.hk/download/down...s__English.pdf

Thanks, this is the form for guardianship upon death. I am looking for something to do with while we are away for a period of time.

@pin - would the change of the sentence "upon death" to simply "until our return to Hong Kong on or before _____" not suffice?

Have not read the ordinance and checked if there are issues with temporary guardianship.

I'm not a lawyer, but I do have a friend whose mother has taken her grandchild on holiday before. In that case a simple consent letter was sufficient for Immigration. So I would suggest writing a letter to whom it may concern, confirming that the temporary guardian has the authority to act in loco parentis whilst you are away, e.g. should medical decisions need to be made for example, and have both parents sign it.

pin likes this.

Throw in notarization for good measure...

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Throw in notarization for good measure...
    Why?

Because notarization- signing the agreement in front of a notary- ensures that the actual people signed the document. Typically, the notary checks all the IDs of the signers. Otherwise, could be a forgery...

I realize notarization is a bigger deal in HK than anywhere else it seems- can always get it notarized for maybe less hassle at a consulate if you hold another passport. In the US, usually we just go to our local bank and someone there is a notary will do it for us.

Last edited by MABinPengChau; 06-08-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Because notarization- signing the agreement in front of a notary- ensures that the actual people signed the document. Typically, the notary checks all the IDs of the signers. Otherwise, could be a forgery...

I realize notarization is a bigger deal in HK than anywhere else it seems- can always get it notarized for maybe less hassle at a consulate if you hold another passport. In the US, usually we just go to our local bank and someone there is a notary will do it for us.
    Or just get it witnessed in front of a solicitor / commissioner of oaths.

Sure, whatever works- seems most are also notaries, whatever will make the signatures "official" for HK...