Like Tree14Likes

Verifying Domestic Helper Background/Employment

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by avocado22:
    Apologies for making you feel sick, that wasn't my intention - was merely looking for a bit of advice. Maybe you can help me then, I am hiring somebody to spend most of the day alone looking after my newborn baby. What do you think is an appropriate recruitment process?
    I'm sorry I can't help on this matter. Even though I have lots of friends and like them all, that doesn't mean I know their true way of working or character. If we gather together, it is true, our topic revolves around work, employer and our personal life. It all depends on our individual, regarding differences age, education and life experience to face our situation. And they some are happy with their employer some are not, all depends our strength. It's similar with someone professional who work in the office, if they can't stand with their Boss they have right to leave father than depression.
    If I as an employer looking for helper when I would ask her to talk more about her, her family, her hobbies and what she wanted in her life, she looked for it during the interview, it's like one way to find out the history or character, you will know there's true or lie. Not merely just explaining what the employer wants like the most employer did.. Giving good attention to helpers will turn you back.
    hullexile and jgl like this.

We took a chance on our helper. She had over 12 years experience with the same family and was ready to retire. However, she changed her mind at the last minute and decided she wanted to do 1 more contract. She was too embarrassed to tell her employer,as they didn't want her to leave. So we were unable to do a background check. Anyway, we took a chance and she's been with us for 7 years.

toni_celin, jgl and z754103 like this.

Apologies for making you feel sick, that wasn't my intention - was merely looking for a bit of advice. Maybe you can help me then, I am hiring somebody to spend most of the day alone looking after my newborn baby. What do you think is an appropriate recruitment process?
    Are you using Annerely at all? One of the mid-wives was happy to help with interviewing helpers and would do a little test to make sure they had some newborn experience.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gloomysunday:
    I'm sorry I can't help on this matter. Even though I have lots of friends and like them all, that doesn't mean I know their true way of working or character. If we gather together, it is true, our topic revolves around work, employer and our personal life. It all depends on our individual, regarding differences age, education and life experience to face our situation. And they some are happy with their employer some are not, all depends our strength. It's similar with someone professional who work in the office, if they can't stand with their Boss they have right to leave father than depression.
    If I as an employer looking for helper when I would ask her to talk more about her, her family, her hobbies and what she wanted in her life, she looked for it during the interview, it's like one way to find out the history or character, you will know there's true or lie. Not merely just explaining what the employer wants like the most employer did.. Giving good attention to helpers will turn you back.
    Okay thanks for articulating. Seem to be going off on a tangent about the general employer-helper dynamic which I guess has been done to death already. Given my babies age and vulnerability I still feel it would remiss of me not to check references and verify prior newborn experience, rather than rely on a psychic ability to tell truth from lie in interview.
    merchantms and gch555 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    Are you using Annerely at all? One of the mid-wives was happy to help with interviewing helpers and would do a little test to make sure they had some newborn experience.
    Actually we have already interviewed already and have some excellent candidates, that based on interview we would feel comfortable leaving the baby with. Still think it is just wise to check the background rather than rely on instinct.

Actually we have already interviewed already and have some excellent candidates, that based on interview we would feel comfortable leaving the baby with. Still think it is just wise to check the background rather than rely on instinct.
    True, but have found what works for one family doesn't often work for another. So if there's one candidate who ticks all the boxes and you feel you may be more comfortable with. Maybe give her a chance and do a trial? When we were looking we found some amazing women! Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    True, but have found what works for one family doesn't often work for another. So if there's one candidate who ticks all the boxes and you feel you may be more comfortable with. Maybe give her a chance and do a trial? When we were looking we found some amazing women! Best of luck.
    With baby though it's more complicated. I met a few lovely ladies who through references I learned didn't have as much responsibility for babies as they claimed. E.g. mother had a 1 year maternity leave or father was a stay at home dad. If you're working and leaving a baby at home you have to be really sure the helper is suitable.
    z754103 likes this.