Like Tree10Likes

Water Heater Stability Issues

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy Water Heater Stability Issues

Was wondering if anyone had any potential solutions or explanations as to why the water in my shower won't remain stable? The gas works, but even if I set the temp to the lowest (which is 37 C), occasionally it will switch off after a short amount of time.

The other main issue is, there's no in-between temperatures. It's either super hot, or super cold. The landlord just stopped by and said it's an issue with the (height) of the building, but we're only on 18th floor and the building itself isn't too old.

Any thoughts? Or am I going to be dealing with a bi-polar shower for a year?

*I personally think there must be an issue with the pressure, because there's no reason the entire gas heater would switch off with the slightest temp change...

In my case, I have a gas instantaneous and it was mis-behaving, it turned out to be (as I suspected by the way!!) to be crud build up in the pipe leading in - a simple scrape inside the pipe fixed that and it's been fine ever since (about a year)

flow rate is very important for these machines

MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    In my case, I have a gas instantaneous and it was mis-behaving, it turned out to be (as I suspected by the way!!) to be crud build up in the pipe leading in - a simple scrape inside the pipe fixed that and it's been fine ever since (about a year)

flow rate is very important for these machines
    DId the gas provider (Shell) come around and fix that? Might have a similar issue with our heaters that are well over 20 years old and the service guy keeps insisting that we replace them.

have same issue. are there any other explanation than the flow rate threshold is set too high ? how to adjust it lower ?

i am not too convince its the building pipe issue though. since i can get fairly good water pressure from my shower, meaning water are flowing out fine.

Shri in my case it was towngas, yes they came out after I booked online. I think it was within 24hrs

shri likes this.

Thanks Robert. Was going to ask if it was an issue that could be handled by oneself or if it were better to get Towngas to come. Any idea on the ballpark figure for cost (if any)?

I'm also curious about this too. The water flow itself is not a huge issue, it's just the flow of gas(?) that's causing the fluctuations in temp. Super annoying...

This sounds like it may be some interaction between your shower faucet mixer/showerhead and water heater.

If it fires up and then shuts off, it may be because the shower head isn't allowing sufficient hot water flow to keep the heater active.

Water saving shower heads sometimes cause this. To check if it's your showerhead, try running the faucet at the same setting.

Otherwise, reduce the gas flow - this will lower the temperature, so you will need to adjust the shower to a higher hot water mix. This should keep it on. It may take a bit of experimentation.

If you try a bit and it doesn't work, get a Towngas appointment. I recall it was free if no parts are involved because you already pay a monthly maintenance charge.

TheBrit and timonoj like this.

When my water heater started to go, it was due to a bad circuit board. Repairman swapped it out for a new one it fixed the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by answerer:
    Water saving shower heads sometimes cause this. To check if it's your showerhead, try running the faucet at the same setting.
    Best advice

It will be a flow rate issue. The boiler needs a minimum flow rate to start the burners.

If opening the faucet 25% solves the issue look to get a more free flowing shower head.

Quote Originally Posted by answerer:
    This sounds like it may be some interaction between your shower faucet mixer/showerhead and water heater.

If it fires up and then shuts off, it may be because the shower head isn't allowing sufficient hot water flow to keep the heater active.

Otherwise, reduce the gas flow - this will lower the temperature, so you will need to adjust the shower to a higher hot water mix. This should keep it on. It may take a bit of experimentation.

If you try a bit and it doesn't work, get a Towngas appointment. I recall it was free if no parts are involved because you already pay a monthly maintenance charge.
    Oh wow, I had no idea that Towngas would come for free for this. In my case I'm certain I have a water flow issue, and currently I have a water saving shower head, which just exacerbates the existing issue. But even with a non-green showerhead, it will still stall after a minute or two. So the solution is a free clean of the pipes by the Towngas guy?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast